Update on Dexter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For anyone who was reading and also those lovely people who offered kind words when I was adopting Dexter I just want to say a HUGE thankyou to you all!!

Anyways on with the update.

I talked to the vet and she said we can't get Pen G over here and the alternative one in her opinion wasn't that great so she said the best thing she could do was cut it completely out because there was a enough skin around it to do so and she was worried it might attach to the jaw otherwise. Or she said we would have to keep bringing him in and lancing it and draining it which could go on for ages.

So me and Phil decided the best thing to do was to have it cut out as I didn't want him to have to be in and out of the vets all the time and the whole lancing and draining didn't sound very pleasant for him.

So a very nervous Amy took him to the vets yesterday morning and I was worried sick all morning then I got a call to say he had woken up, the surgery went really well and they managed to remove the whole lump in one piece!!! And he was happy hopping around playing with toys and eating hay!!

So I am pleased to say the abcess is no more!! And Dexter is healthy!! :jumpforjoy:

He just has to go back tomorrow to check the wound is healing.

And in other news, last time I posted Jessica took a dislike to Dexter and was grunting and acting really moody whenever I went over to Dexters cage and when she was in her cage because their cages are placed in view of each other. I am pleased to say this has now stopped! We let her have a sniff of him through the cage bars and vice versa a few times and she wasn't bothered at all she was more moody when I took her away from his cage.

We also built a big NIC grid pen for Dexter so he can run around downstairs as well as Jesswe put extra grids around the edges to make the gaps smaller and Jess went over about three times to have a little sniff of him. Dexter was trying to get her attention all the time but she wasn't really that interested and a bit later she flopped out at the side of his pen and he did the same thing from inside his pen hehe. So I'm hoping this is all a good sigh and when he has fully recovered from his surgery we will hopefully gradually introduce them properly

Sorry for the long post!!

Yay! That's great news! I'm so glad the surgery went well and that he's recovering well! I wondered where you'd been as you hadn't been here for a few days- wondered how little Dexter was gettin on!:D

I don't know much about abcesses and stuff- is it likely that it could return at any point, or is it gone for good now?

That's really good news about Jess and Dexter too- I told you not to worry too much! If they're flopping around each other it's a good sign that they feel comfortable enough to lie in a position that's not easy to get up from... Hopefully, given time they will fall in love and live happily ever after! :hearts

Now that we know he's ok, and settled in- there's no excuse not to show us lots and lots of cute pictures of him- I don't think we've had nearly enough so far! :p

:waiting:;)

xx

Ohh I know sorry not been on for a couple of days been sooo busy started a new job in wait for it . . . A VETS!! I'm working on reception done a couple of days so far and love it, long hours though but I get today off and the weekend!!! Yey. The vet said that they have totally removed the abcess so its doubtful it will re-occur :biggrin2:.

I'm trying to get some pics now to put up for you but he is so fast! He is in the spare room having a good hop around will prob take a while but I will have pics up before the end of the day.

I'm glad Dexter is doing so well! It's great that they were able to get the abcess out whole.

That's great about Dexter!

I think that this surgery might also be good for their bonding. She might see him as needing her to take care of him. Let them love each other from each side of the pen until he gets his stitches out and all..... then maybe supervise a little time together.

Congrats on the job!!!

What great news - I am so pleased that they managed to remove the abcess. And it sounds a bit more promising on the introduction front - looks like things are coming together nicely :).

Is it the vet that you took him to where you got the job?

Jan

That's great news! The abscess problem is now behind you and Dexter. It must be so relieving for both of you! I've read numerous times in vet articles that if an encapsulated abscess is removed as a whole, it doesn't re-occur, so you're now on the safe side.

Marietta

Ohh thanks for that Marietta (p.s love your name it is so unusual). Thats good to know. I'm so happy I now have two happy healthy buns yey.

Nah I didn't take him to the vets I worked at. It sort of would been nice if I had because I would have been able to be with him and look after him and make sure he was ok but I know the vets I go to are really good and they are great with rabbits so I'm keeping them there. Gawd knows what the vets where I started working is going to think they have been badgering me to register my rabbits with them but I trust the vets they are with so I will be sticking. Bit disloyal isn't it hehe.

That's good- sorry I just don't know much about these things! It's soo good that it's all sorted and gone for good now, and to think, a couple of weeks ago the RSPCAnearly stopped you adopting him because of this! Now it's not even a problem at all! Just goes to show how a situation can turn round and work out well :)

Congratulations on the job too! I'd love to work in a vets too! I think you're brave by keeping your rabbits with the other vets, but if that's what you think is best for your buns then do it!:) It also could get awkward I suppose with you working there, if you have to take your bun in and you don't agree with the treatement or something....

But anyway... still waiting for the pics lol! :p

lol, grr I've been trying to put pics up and because the only way I know I can do it is by posting the pics on bunspace and then copying those pics on here it takes ages, tried loads to upload them and it takes ages then crashes grr. Phil said he will put the pics up for me at the weekend so I'm planning on startinga blog for them both. Will let you know whan I get it up. I'm so sleepy anyways I'm going to bed now Yawn! Nitey nite xx:bed:

Awww, nooo!

I can't upload pictures too well either, so I use this site:

http://imageshack.us/

It's soo easy- you upload the picture- I select message board size from the size list. Then, you'll get about 10 links to choose from- use the link at the bottom, that says 'Direct link to image' and copy and past that into the 'insert image' button on the reply toolbar! It's really really easy! :pIt even resizes the pictures for you as well! :D

Latest posts

Back