Update on Chompers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
He is responding very well to his medication andhis breathing isn't as stuffed up as it was when I brought him in.Also, he is active again, so I know he's doing better. In fact, alittle too active at times! He's my "good" bunny, meaning he doesn'tget into stuff, chew everything in sight and generally laid back. Untilhe decided to pee on the couch last night.

Guess you can't have it all, can you? :p Thankfully I invested in a nice shampooer recently.

I did not mention this before, but he does have a case of dermatitis,which obviously gets worse during the molt and in winter. Last winter Inoticed he had dandruff pretty bad, even though I do run a humidifyerin those months because the air is so dry. It went away once springrolled around, but I'm thinking ahead and am wondering, how can I treatthis? I brush him often and he loves getting his hind quartersscratched, which is where the dandruff was the worst, so I know it'sgot to be itchy for him. I mean, I know how my skin feels sometimes inthe winter months.

The "dermatitis" is often due to miteinfestation, often as a result of a weak immune system. Mostrabbits have mites to some degree, however, a strong immune systemkeeps the little buggers in check. You'll find that veryyoung, older or ill animals may become badly infested and have a lot ofskin flaking. You'll want to consult your vet as Ivomecinjections are often used. The vet will also be able todetermine if there is a secondary bacterial infectionpresent. I like to keep some Nutri Cal on hand.It's easy for the body to metabolize and can help boost the immunesystem. (Very high in calories, so use sparingly).

Pam

Are you serious! Well, duh, of course you are. LOL

Well, I wish there were some other way than taking him to the vetagain, especially since he *really* doesn't like it there. I'm going tohave to wait until we move to Ottawa, it's not a life threateningsituation and unless something major happens....Dave and I are just waytoo busy getting ready for the move now. You all know how moving is!

There is nothing topical to treat this with?

One ofmy rabbits has a "dandruff" problem that comes and goes likeyours. For the life of me, I couldn't find any mites on herand the flaking was driving me crazy! I had the vet check herout and he couldn't find any mites either and felt that it wasbacterial. He had me put adab of neosporinon the flaky areas and that seemed to help!:)

Stephanie wrote:
Are you serious! Well, duh, of course you are. LOL

Well, I wish there were some other way than taking him to the vetagain, especially since he *really* doesn't like it there. I'm going tohave to wait until we move to Ottawa, it's not a life threateningsituation and unless something major happens....Dave and I are just waytoo busy getting ready for the move now. You all know how moving is!

There is nothing topical to treat this with?

There are topical treatments, but it's better to find out exactly whatthe cause is so that you can pursue proper treatment. Kittenflea powder may help or a fungal foot powder. Antibacterialointment may also help for the secondary bacterial infection that maybe present.

Ivermectin horse paste can be given orally to help rid a rabbit of fur mites.

Pam

Back