*UPDATE* He's coming home!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
(originial title: Guess who might be coming home???)

PJ!

w11531518.jpg

Actually, he looks a bit more like this now...;)

m11531458.jpg

It seems our boy has a bit of a clawing problem. The husband has said:declaw him, or find him a new home. FYI, this is when kitten contractscome in really handy: I specifically stated that a) no declawing underany circumstances, and b) I would take the cat back if theycould no longer keep him.

His adoptive mom is giving it until next weekend (21st-23rd) to let usknow. Of course, that just happens to be Holy Friday/HolySaturday/Pascha :shock:, so I'm going to be suuuuper busy, but my momhas said she'll help with whatever transitions we need to make.

PJ (now called "Johnny") hasn't seen his mom or sisters for well over ayear, so if he does come back, we'll need to work onre-introductions. Diet is another concern (since my girls eat raw, andhe definitely doesn't). There's just so much to think about!

*sigh*

At this point, I'm just hoping and praying that the right decision willbe reached, even if they decide to keep him and work on the clawingproblem. I have stressed to his owners that he will always have a homewith us, they can visit anytime (they live about 15 minutes away), andwe will send regular updates and pictures. I want them to becomfortable with their choice, and not feel like they have tokeep him despite the problems.

Of course, I'm more than a little excited at the prospect of my boycoming home:colors: Excited, and a little nervous. It's justso much to think about!

You're pictures aren't working.:? I want pictures!:rant

Have they tried Soft Paws? I'd try that before declawing! Good thing you had a contract written up.

Got some more info...(my mom works in the same building as this woman, and they'll be talking again tomorrow)

They've tried putting catnip on several scratching posts. The cats justrubbed up against them, and went on to scratch other things
icon_rolleyes.gif
Andapparently, it's gotten pretty bad: he's scratched their couches, tablelegs, door frames, stair bannister:shock: They gave up ondouble-sided tape 'cause they were having to do most of their house!

I think what it boils down to, is they got a kitten and they are rarelyhome. They have another cat, and I think they figured that would beenough to keep him occupied. It's kind of hard to redirect and re-trainwhen they can't supervise him. On the flip side, one of our familymembers is always home, and as such we've rarely had anysignificant problems with our cats that we couldn't monitor andcorrect.

We've made it clear that we are ready to take the cat. It's really justup to this woman (who really wants to keep him) and her husband (whowants to scratching to stop now, or the cat is gone) to figureout what they want to do. I'm praying pretty hard on this end. Nomatter what happens, I want the outcome to be what's best for the cat.Mom's going to suggest some ideas and alternatives tomorrow, and we'llsee if they're willing to try them, or if they truly feel they've runout of options.

I won't lie: I would love to have my baby boy home again:D

Have they considered putting Soft Claws (or SoftPaws, either one) on him?? Check out the website (by the samenames) to see what it's about, but for a description: they're vinylcovers that you adhere to the cats' claws that keep them from beingable to scratch things. They fall off when the top layer ofthe claw naturally falls off. Each set lasts 4-6weeks. :)

Hope that is something they're willing to try...it's certainly cheaper and less harmful than declawing!!

Let me know if that's a possibility. :)

:yeahthat

Oh, and I can see the pictures now. It must just have been my work computer.

I want him! He looks like my little Stowaway kitty that lives with my parents! I miss my Stowie.:(

I know its frustrating for them but I hope they will decide not to declaw him, its just such a mean thing to do to a cat.

x-posted from blog:

The latest news is: probably. As in, she'll probably be bringing him to our house before next weekend.

She's going to give it one last try, and provide a wooden scratchingpost for him to use (since he seems to prefer raw wood). But after sucha long period of inappropriate scratching, and reinforcement of thebehavior, I don't know if it will make much of a difference.

I am of two minds, to be honest. On the one hand, I would like to seethem do as much as possible to correct the problem. I would be happy toprovide them with ideas, with methods, and do whatever it takes forthem to be happy, and for him to stop tearing up their house. I don'tknow that they've fully exhausted every possibility.

But as dad said to me recently, there's no valor in continuing down apath that you know is wrong, just to prove a point. If they don't feelthey can handle the cat, that's their choice, and ultimately, he's myresponsibility anyway. I made the decision to keep a pregnantcat and her four kittens knowing that it could potentially be alifelong commitment.

And if it comes to it, I will welcome my Prince John home with open arms (and open wallet ;)).

Now, we just need a way to break the news to dad...

*btw - no declawing him, they signed a contract when they adopted thekitten that said they wouldn't declaw him; that's why she isconsidering giving him up*

*UPDATE*

Mom spoke with his owner today, and PJ will be here either Wednesdaynight or Saturday. I’m hoping for Wednesday, because this weekend isgoing to be crazy enough without a newcomer in the house.

But barring any miraculous breakthroughs in his current situation, he will be ours very, very soon.

I’m so grinning ear-to-ear right now.

:D

PJ will be here tomorrow. :shock:

*deep breath*

Dad and Hannah still don't know yet. Mom and I will be talking to Dadtonight, and we're hoping and praying that he doesn't completely freak.Not that I think he will adamantly refuse to take the cat, just that hemight be unhappy about it for awhile. But we do have a secret weapon:his youngest daughter.

Tomorrow is Hannah's birthday, and she will be getting a surprisebirthday gift: the kitten she loved and has missed for over a year. Ifnothing else, her puppy-dog eyes will certainly melt the heart of thebeast.

For now, I need to focus on what I need to do in order for thistransition to be smooth. His owner is faxing his health records over toour vet today, and mom will be picking up food for him on the way home(9 Lives *blech*). We have an extra litterbox, and I'm bettingon the fact that Hannah will want him to stay in her room during thetransition period.

So much to do, so much to think about...

Me? A crazy cat lady? Why would you think that :biggrin

I have three weeks left to the semester, it's Holy Week, AND I'm addinga new member to the family. The only way I will make it through thisweek is by the grace of God. And even then I may end up losing a goodchunk of my sanity :tongue

Tomorrow is Hannah's birthday, and shewill be getting a surprise birthday gift: the kitten she loved and hasmissed for over a year. If nothing else, her puppy-dog eyes willcertainly melt the heart of the beast.

:happyrabbit:

I just read this thread now, and am so curious...has he made it home yet?

CONGRATS!! once again and bless you for yourhuge heart. I am sure it will all go well. Hang in there. Once the catis there your dad's heart will melt;after all he raised you. Bestwishes and good luck withfinals./themes/default/party0002.gifweare behind you all the way!!!!

Thanks guys. It'sbeen such a crazy week, I don't think I've stopped moving since Sunday:run: :yawn

PJ will be here around six o'clock (less than two hours from now :woohoo)

Dad took the news instride, for the most part. He said later that hehopes Iunderstand how spoiled I am:lookaround We told Hannah thismorning before her birthday breakfast, and when her face lit up I knewDad was completely sold on the idea.

So now Hannah is preparing her room for the 16 pound hunk o' man-catthat will be inhabiting it for the next several weeks. I'll postpictures of our boy tonight.

I'm so happy for you - and for your sister. What a wonderful thing you're doing for this guy!

Peg

Is he home yet? I can't wait to see pictures:elephant::elephant::elephant:

Latest posts

Back