Update: dosage of motrin for very small girl (arthritis and abscess )

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
Sherry currently weights 1.7 lbs (she should be about 2.5 lbs). I can't get to the vet to pick up some Metcam until tomorrow night after work so I was thinking of trying baby Motrin.

The smallest dose I saw onother threads was 1/4 tablet for a bun just under 3 lbs (Pipp). WouldSherry take 1/8 of a tablet? I haven't seen the size of the tablets yet but can they even be cut that small?

Thanks,

Cara

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

her dose would come out to about 5.7mg which is a small dose. Can't tell you how much to give if I don't know the strength of the tablet. You would do better with a children's motrin..but need to know the strength
This drug is hard on the GI tract and you should see if you can get her to eat something at the same time that you give it.

Thanks, Maureen! I think I'll wait until she gets the Metacam. With all she's got going on, the last thing I want to do is give her stasis. She's eating well, grooming herselfand moving around some so she must be feeling ok.

Thanks.

I don't think that it would give her stasis. ActuallyMetacam is an NSAID non-steroidal antiinflammatory also) although motrin may be rougher on the stomach lining.

if you think that she's really in pain I'd give it but if not better wait.

Hi Cara,

Just happened to pop in and see this thread. Why do you think your rabbit needs pain med? Since it appears by your post that she has some issues going on with her weight, I also suspect with that she has some hydration issues. Any of the NSAIDs (motrin, ibuprofen, metacam, toradol, etc.) are very stressful on the liver and to some degree on the kidneys when the animal (any species including humans) are the least bit dehydrated. I always offer supplemental hydration when using NSAIDs especially if the situation requires them for longer than three days. I generally use NSAIDs only if there is some type of swelling due to injury or illness and try to keep dosing no more than three days. The liver in a rabbit is very vulnerabletothisfamily of drug. I treat moderate pain usually with Tramadol and more acute pain with Buprenex. Tramadol is not a controlled drug but does require a RX. It also has to be compounded into a suspension. But it is an excellent drug to use in rabbits. As always, there can always be unforeseen side effects but we have never had any problems here. It is usually dosed by mouth twice a day....and can be given a third time per day if some light sedation is needed.

Randy

Latest posts

Back