Update: Beau's recovery from dental surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The widower Beau (RIP Babette's mate) is going to have his mouth done tomorrow. ) I wouldn't be worried at all if we were going to Dr Gengler in Verona Wi. who has done his teeth the past 2 yrs. but we just cannot make that long grueling trip this year.

I found a woman vet about 40 miles from here who knows Beau's previous dentist and is confident that she can do his teeth. I am hoping and praying that she can. Beau never had any problems after his dental appts with pain or not eating etc. He never had problems with anesthesia etc. .

I am really worried about this but she said that his teeth look bad ..so I am going ahead with it.

Please wish my little guy well..

100_0195Small.jpg

100_1078.jpg

Come on Beau, you feel betterreal soon after your procedure and don't worry your Mommie too much.

I'll say a prayer for your "Little One".

Susan:pray:

Well we"re back and he's still here :)

This poor rabbit had 6 teeth pulled that were infected. Some of these were teeth that grew back after they were pulled several years ago.

One tooth was growing askew across his mouth and into the opposite cheek. He had a hole on the inside of his cheek His teeth are really a mess (but much better now.) The vet showed me the teeth she pulled with the attached roots; she also took before and after pics of the inside of his mouth.

He is still drugged and sleepy . He never had this much work done at once before. He had some pedialyte by syringe when we got home.
If I can get him through this post-op period OK then we are very lucky because I think this vet is rabbit saavy.
If this vet is rabbit saavy I will not have to wait so long before taking him like I did this time.

I'm not going to concentrate too much on the food part tonight but I am going to make sure that he gets enough fluids.

I have metacam to give him today and for about the next 5 day. She gave him buprenex. We'll see what we have here when the buprenex wears off; I'm a little concerned that he may have pain .

Anyway my little guy just never fails to amaze me. he's so much stronger than I ever thought he could be without Babette.
Sheused to lick him all over when he came back from having his teeth done.

Now he's only got me here to pet him :?

Ithink that everyone wishing us well helped him.

Thanks RO

I'm so glad to hear that Beau is ok! It sounds like the poor little guy had quite an ordeal!

I'm sure though that with you he's in the best hands possible to make a speedy recovery... :)

Give him gentle noserubs from me! :hug:

What great news!:D 6 teeth?:shock: Poor baby. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. Tell him he's tougher than me!:) What's causing the infections? Any ideas from the docs? That's interesting.

Also, teeth can grow back in buns?:shock:

Give him a huge hug and kiss from me, Maureen. What a tough dude, with an even tougher mum!:hug:

He did well to come through the surgery but he is not dong very well in the eating dept which has worried.

he has some interest in eating particularly pumpkin and a little banana but he just makes tiny itty bitty lttle licking attempys with it taking forever to even get a tiny bit of banana in his mouth.
I have only syringed him some fluids ..he fights me just terrible for anything else and I am afraid to really force him because I don't know how sore his mouth is.
I know this is only the first day after surgery but my fear is that he is not going to eat on his own.

I am going to call the vet a little later as she said to call her if he isn't eating and he really isn't eating enough.
Anyway I have never had this situation with him or any other rabbit.
it isn't like force feeding with stasis. I'm afraid that that I'm going to hurt him.
Any one else that has had a rabbit with major dental surgery could you tell me if this is normal?

thanks

Aww poor guy :(

I was worried about that part. I wonder if you soaked some pellets if he might eat those? That's how I fed Clover when she was tiny.

Keep us posted, ok?

I watered down the critical care so it is almostaliquid and am trying to syringe him him just a small amount at a time. It seems like anything evensemi-solid is difficult for him.
This woman is a vet in training to be a dentist..I wonder if she did too many at once.?
He had 5 teeth taken out in 2006 but they
were "so infected they just came out"

I asked her if these just came out and she said "No they had to be extracted. "

He is barely pooping but that's to be expected.

by the time this is over he will really hate because I keep bugging him...

Hi, for the dental work he had done this not wanting to eat sounds really normal. I think that there is no way to hurt him from syringe feeding him, especially if you are holding the chin and forehead when you do it and not the sides of face. You are probably already very gentle. I would do this if he is not eating on his own.

Is there a possibility he might have an infection? Even a clean surgery can allow bacteria into the extraction sites. Also, are you giving him pain meds? I know you said you have some- I think dental work is much more painful than most people realize, this pain he is feeling might be within the realm of normal too.

I would keep the vet posted about this if I were you, perhaps you will need to go in for a stronger pain med to get him eating again and some sub q's. Hoping your guy is feeling better very soon.

I am already giving him baytril injections; he has chronic inflammation in his mouth anyway.
I just called the vet (not in today) and talked with the technician that assisted the vet with the extractions. He said that because the roots were so long that the surgery was pretty invasive. he encouraged me to keep feeding him also and call tomorrow if he is unchanged.
So I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing until I talk with her.

When I bring the shelter spay surgeries home from the vet it seems to me that they are really "off" until the 3rd day. I have found that to be true so many times that i don't worry as much anymore.

I wish I had more extensive dentals to draw from as he may be OK by tomorrow whetherI do much today or not. I just don't want his GI tract to shut down.

Latest posts

Back