up all night?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsboopy

Reaction score
hi! i just got some 3 month old buns 2 weeks ago, and i'm new to the forum and i've been reading a bunch of the posts on here which are SUPER helpful by the way :D. but i was reading and saw a few posts about buns sleeping at night and everything. and this could be a really stupid question but...is it normal that my buns sleep during the day and stay up all night?

and i guess i might as well ask this while i'm at it: rascal and jail break are about 3 months old and i haven't gotten them checked yet, but their first mommy thought they were the same sex , little girls. but just recently jail break has been humping rascal at night and she won't stop. and then it's like she's got this whole other personality. she's usually pretty timid but whenever she starts to act like that she acts all confident and high and mighty. so, should i be worried about this or is it just dominace? and should i be worried about rascal cause i'm pretty sure she doesn't like it? and then today, all they did was sleep all day in their little sleeping spot in the cage. they didn't even want to come out and play. they didn't want to be around me or anyone else today and they're usually pretty good about that.

so...i'm a worried mamma! and they're freaking me out! :?

When left to their own devices, most of my guys are usual active twice a day, very early in the morning and early evening, which fits their natural state of being active at dusk and dawn.

The bunny who lives in my room is normally up when I'm up (I work at home), she adjusts to my schedule. A couple of my guys can be fed or let out to run at any given time and they won't care if it's not THEIR time.But most adjust.

Humping is a sign of dominance, and your girls(?) are approoaching the terrible teens when their hormones start raging. You're going to have to watch for a few things -- most importantly, confirming they're both girls! Rabbits are notoriously hard to sex, and the gender fairy has made many a visit to this board. (I had a VET tell me Pipp was a boy, and they were about toneuter her when I opted fora second opinion).

If they are both girls, no baby worries, but you may end up with some fights on your hands, although hopefully they'll make it through pueberty still bonded.

The best way to save you and them a lot of grief is to start looking into getting them spayed soon, I think between four and six months is standard, depending on the breed. (Giant breeds are best left a little later).

You can also expect them to start pooping and peeing all over the place soon, that's another hormonal thing. But don't worry, their stellar litter habits will returna few weeks after they're spayed.

Right now if one or both arebeing quiet, really important to keep an eye on their output to make sure they're not having physical problems -- watch for small or wet poops, signs of discomfort while urinating, or tummy discomfort -- sitting hunched up or lying down and getting up, pressing their tummies down, etc.

I'd guess that the humper is maturing faster than the non-humperand the latter isn't happy about it, butthat's just a guess. Even when fully matured, they will be establishing dominance and submissiveness and marking territory, etc.

What breed are they? Love to see some pics.

Please let us know how they're doing. :) Congrats on the family, and welcome to Rabbits Only! :welcome1

sas :bunnydance:

hi thanks for responding so fast! i think they're...hot something? i'm not really sure. so just now, they were sleepy and falling asleep, couldn't keep their eyes open and i turned off the light and it was quiet for a few minutes and then i could hear one of them playing around. it's like the minute the lights go off they're up and jumping around. and the digging is ALL NIGHT. ...ok now they're quiet again.

here's some pictures i just took :biggrin2::
%3Ca%20href=
CoCoandPenny005.jpg
" ALT="">
Jail BReak and rascal.

They're CUTE!

You know - my bunnies used to always play at night. Tony does! and my son HATES it.

Clover and Bo have adjusted more to my hours but there are times when they play more at night.

Bo is VERY grumpy during the day. He'd rather be left alone from about 10 a.m. to about 5 pm...

paulsboopy wrote:
hi thanks for responding so fast! i think they're...hot something?
jailbreakandrascal.jpg
" Jail BReak and rascal.

Aw w w ... Way cute!! Before I saw the pic, I thought you might have meantHotot... but that's not it. I think they might be what we lovingly call 'bunny rabbits', too mixed to single out a breed.;)

Any idea how much they weigh?

Whatever they are, they're :adorable:

sas :wiggle

PS: I lightened up the pic, hope you don't mind!

lol oh ok. iwent through the "breed" section and kept thinking "well that kind of looks like them...wait...no..." lol. um, they don't weigh that much at all, maybe 2 pounds, if that? they're not really big, they're just long. their mamma isn't really that big.ohactually i'm glad you lightened it! i didn'twant to scare them by usingthe flash ;).

Speri stays up all night long usually (well, very active let's say)...running back and forth in her cage and ringing her little bell. In the morning she is up also, then rests in the afternoon hours and then is up again and ready to do something fun around 5:00 in the afternoon. ;)

The one in the middle almost looks like a Dutch - almost though, but not quite!

I think you have mix breeds, or "bunny rabbits" as the shelters would call them.

Latest posts

Back