Unusual heartbeat or respiration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
I noticed tonight that Carmel's heartbeat is not normal. It looks like it's "heaving" and this is not usual for her. I have noticed that she's had a few wet sounding sneezes over the past 2 days, but no wetness on her nose or paws.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a URI issue. I'm praying it's not a heart issue. I had a heart failure bun pass last year, but he didn't look like this. His was more of a constant hard gurgle with shortness of breath. She seems to be breathing ok, but then again, this vid could be evidence of the contrary.

Any thoughts, insight is greatly appreciated.

Video of this "pounding":

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa64/bunlove_photo/?action=view&current=P1150033.flv

It looks a tad bit fast, but not too bad. I'd monitor tonight and see what goes on. If it doesn't get any better I'd see the vet and see what they say. Hopefully someone will be along with more advice soon.

(I'm dealing with a psycho cat right now:shock:.)

When you notice signs that are not normal for your rabbit and you are concerned, I think it's best to follow that gut instinct and have it checked out by a vet. The worrying just isn't worth waiting.

Pam

Respiration issues can go downhill very quickly and if you suspect your rabbit is having issues - I would RUN to the nearest vet...not walk. I'm not trying to scare you - just - you know your rabbit better than we do and if this seems unusual to you - then I would have it checked out.

Peg

Thanks guys, yeah I was planning on calling the vet first thing in the morning but was debating on whether I should go to the emergency clinic tonight. They (emergency clinic) said they don't "do" rabbits, but that they could provide supportive care if necessary. :?

But if I do wait til morning, my vet usually can get me in quickly if I call as soon as they open.

Back