Unusual change in behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber-Wizard

Reaction score
I'm starting to fuss a bit over a sudden change in behaviour and I'm having trouble determining if it's justified or just me being a nervous Dad. Ms Cleo is generally a very consistently perky bun and it's usually pretty obvious if she's feeling out of sorts.

Last summer she had bouts of allergies, arthritis, and gut motility hit her all at the same time (she was 7 years old at the time). We wound up having to hospitalize her for almost a week. For the first few days the vet felt that there was a good chance that she wouldn't be coming home again. After she came home she was curious and fun loving and has been racing around giving us binkies and meerkat poses every since. We even discovered her pellets to be the cause of her allergies and now as long as we rotate through three different types of pellets every few weeks we have no more weepy eyes and almost no shedding at all.

A week ago, I noticed that she no longer bowls me over to get to her salad greens, or even her pellets. She'll eat some of each and then lay down and come back for the rest later. Thinking she might have some tummy issues, I've cut back on both the amount of greens she gets as well as the pellets. She's been perfectly happy to increase her hay intake instead. She is laying around a little more than usual and is still eating both her greens and her pellets, she just doesn't do it all in one feverish sitting anymore. If I sit on the floor she will still bolt over and meerkat in front of me to see if I happen to have any grapes and she will happily gallop around the room exploring or groom her ears and paws...just not as much as she used to even two weeks ago.

Overall she's eating only slightly less (greens and pellets anyway), pooping only slightly less, and playing only slightly less. She still eats loads of hay, and is still drinking the same she always has and her tummy sounds fine to me. These are all things that I would expect in an 8 year old bun, but I expected it would approach more gradually rather than as suddenly as it has.

Am I fussing over nothing?

It doesn't really sound like she's changed, but more just slowed down; understandable at her age. I would watch her weight to make sure she isn't losing and watch her poop for changes in that. You might also check for gas in her system.

Back