Unsure If Photo Indicates Discomfort...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've been to the vet's office so many times with my girl, Zoe, that I don't know what's "normal" and what is "abnormal" regarding bunnies feeling discomfort. I'm wondering if the current appearance of Zoe's tummy is "abnormal." (She was lying this way this morning; Itook a photo of her to demonstrate.)

Do you think that this pose may indicatediscomfort (or that her tummy's unusually large-looking)? She's still pooping (her typical, odd poops), and I don't hear her stomach rumbling from a foot away. But still...

IMG_5022.jpg

About an hour after taking this photo, I found Zoelying upright with her front legs tucked beneath her body (i.e., in a "normal" pose). While that makes me feel a bitbetter, I've also found her the following poses yesterday/todayand wonder if they may also indicate moments of discomfort:

Zoe001.jpg

Zoe002-1.jpg

Thank you,

Jenk

The first pose made me laugh because my chubby ones lie that way all the time when they are relaxed.
The 2nd pose looks normal.
The 3rd pose, however, does make her abdomen appear to be distended on the sides.
First of is her eating and pooping normal?
Is her behavior different in anyway?

Is she an overweight bun?

Feel the sides of her abdomen with out pushing in too hard. How does it feel? is it hard like a drum or soft.?
She could have gas if it is distended and hard

angieluv wrote:
The first pose made me laugh because my chubby ones lie that way all the time when they are relaxed.
The 2nd pose looks normal.
The 3rd pose, however, does make her abdomen appear to be distended on the sides.
First of is her eating and pooping normal?
Is her behavior different in anyway?

Is she an overweight bun?

Feel the sides of her abdomen with out pushing in too hard. How does it feel? is it hard like a drum or soft.?
She could have gas if it is distended and hard

angieluv,

Ilaughed at your statement about Zoe's third pose;what's sticking out are her hips, not her sides.:D But just writing that makes me feel better, sinceher sides haven't "overtaken" her hips. (She holds steady at 4 lbs.--pretty standard for a Mini Rex.)

Zoe's appetite is still good, and she'spooping okay. Mind you,her poops haven't been normal most of her life. (They're odd in terms of shape, size and moisture content. On more rare occasions, theyhave a tiny bit of mucous.) Her behavior is about the same, too.

This morning, I rubbed Zoe's stomach/intestestinal region but didn't feel any gas;I did feel gas bubbles when I rubbed her cecum. I'm uncertain if that's typical. (In March, x-rays revealed an excess of gas/food in Zoe's cecum.Clostridium wasn't found; she was treated with an antibiotic and a motility drug at that time, which helped. I partly suspect that her cecum doesn't function properly.)

I've a hard time determining the "proper" feel of a bun's digestive region. I canfind forthe liver and cecum by touch but amuncertain what amount of "doughyness" is considered "too doughy" for thestomach and/or intestines. (The vet's had me palpitate Zoeon several visits to show me the "normal" feel of it. So I'munsure how squishy a bun's stomach and/or intestines feel when out-of-whack.)

I just wanted to say that all three of those poses are common and normal for my bunnies.

Often times Sakura sits like in picture #3 and has a glazed over look in her eye...it's odd haha! Then she might suddenly yawn and groom or she can continue sitting there looking goofy. Or she'll suddenly bend down to munch a cecal.

Zoe is so cute! It made me laugh because she kind of has rolls :D Funny, the things that are cute on bunnies are not at all on humans. Maybe it's because everything is cute on bunnies? Anyway, sorry I don't have much advice to offer you, but all of those positions look pretty normal to me. Has she been as active as she usually is? I'm so sorry you're facing so many digestive troubles with your girls.

NZminilops wrote:
I just wanted to say that all three of those poses are common and normal for my bunnies.

Often times Sakura sits like in picture #3 and has a glazed over look in her eye...it's odd haha! Then she might suddenly yawn and groom or she can continue sitting there looking goofy. Or she'll suddenly bend down to munch a cecal.
NZminlops,

I'd thought that the"glazed" look might indicate pain. But, just as withyour bun, Zoe often "goes for" a cecal after sitting in pose #3 for a spell. Gross, but true. ;)

I realize that I'm overly worried about my bunnies' health. My main reason for worry is that they're my first rabbits, and both have had scary (and expensive) health issues in the 11 months that we've had them. I consider them more "tricky" than the average bun andsometimes feel overwhelmed (even anxious) at the thought that one (or both) of them could be having another health-related issue.

I guess that, more than anything, I should truly worry about a decrease in appetite and/or a lack of (or serious change in) poop production.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Zoe is so cute! It made me laugh because she kind of has rolls :D Funny, the things that are cute on bunnies are not at all on humans. Maybe it's because everything is cute on bunnies? Anyway, sorry I don't have much advice to offer you, but all of those positions look pretty normal to me. Has she been as active as she usually is? I'm so sorry you're facing so many digestive troubles with your girls.
Zoe has only one spot on her butt (seen in photo #1), which has earned her the nickname Freckle Butt. (I've a bazillion nicknames for her at this point. :D)

Looking more closely at photo #2,it does look like Zoe hasrolls.But she's at a normal weight for her breed. And she's been acting fairly normal, far as I can tell.

My problem is that I don't know how to tell if her cecum is distended and what signs might indicate as much. (Feeling gas bubbles in it concerns me, but that may even be relatively normal.)

I cannot palpate indivdual organs on a bun so I'm impressed! Even if I knew how they would never allow it :D
I think that you should go by behavior rather than try to determine the correct feel.

If there was any changes in eating or pooping or energy THEN I would be concerned.

If mine have gas they sit straight up as if to allow more room for their tummies; they also will not lie flat on their tummies due to discomfort. They look "different"..uncomfortable

Sometimes if I am not absolutely sure I have a bunny gas problem I give simethicone anyway.

I apologize for mistaking those bunny hips for a great big tummy . :biggrin2:
I have a few here who need Jenny Craig

The natural instincts of a rabbit is to hide their pain. A rabbit in pain or discomfort would seek a dark spot or corner to huddle in. The most likely position would be in a crouched manner like a meat loaf with her head down. If there is real pain, she would grind her teeth. If there was stress, her breathing would be rapid. In extreme cases, where a rabbit was struggling with excruciating pain, she would scream.

I enjoy your pictures of a happy and relaxed bun. Maybe the third one is showing her disapproval of you taking her picture. :D

angieluv wrote:
I cannot palpate indivdual organs on a bun so I'm impressed! Even if I knew how they would never allow it :D
I think that you should go by behavior rather than try to determine the correct feel.

If there was any changes in eating or pooping or energy THEN I would be concerned.

I apologize for mistaking those bunny hips for a great big tummy . :biggrin2:
I have a few here who need Jenny Craig
Ironically, Zoe started showing definite signs of urinary troubles tonight (straining to pee inside of her litter box, and peeing outside of it--which is unlike her).

Guess we're heading back to the vet's office tomorrow--one day before we take our cat back to his vet for more expensive tests. Honestly, I'm feeling rather defeated here.... :(

No worries about mistaking Zoe's hips for her tummy; neither she nor I is offended. ;)

angieluv wrote:
Sometimes if I am not absolutely sure I have a bunny gas problem I give simethicone anyway.

Just what I was going to say! Simethicone won't harm them, even if it's not gas and they can't "OD" on it.

How's she doing tonight?

OMG that is one happy and flopped bunny in the top picture! Bo only stretches like that when he's most happy!

She's just being a little mini-rex. Bo does the sit and stare at mama thing..... just like she is. The one ear down - "leave me the heck alone woman!" and the sitting in the corner is like she's trying to get mind control! LOL!

Have you ever seen her close her eyes to sleep? cause Bo doesn't close his unless he thinks everyone is gone or something and then he'll hear me 99% of the time if I walk in! He sleeps like that middle picture.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Just what I was going to say! Simethicone won't harm them, even if it's not gas and they can't "OD" on it.

How's she doing tonight?
I've an update in my other thread in the Infirmary (regarding urinary issues). I don't want to bore anyone with details in this particular thread.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
OMG that is one happy and flopped bunny in the top picture! Bo only stretches like that when he's most happy!

She's just being a little mini-rex. Bo does the sit and stare at mama thing..... just like she is. The one ear down - "leave me the heck alone woman!" and the sitting in the corner is like she's trying to get mind control! LOL!

Have you ever seen her close her eyes to sleep? cause Bo doesn't close his unless he thinks everyone is gone or something and then he'll hear me 99% of the time if I walk in! He sleeps like that middle picture.
Mind control...yes...That might explain a lot. :biggrin2:

Zoe also has a very hard time closing her eyes to sleep. The house pretty much needs to be silent for her to truly sleep. If I can see the spots on the top of her head (or the chocolate-colored moustache on her snout)againstthe cage bars, then I know that's she's at least resting on her side, feeling more comfy than not.

Emma, on the other hand,literallydrops into the "shrimp pose" (curled up like--what else?--a shrimp) and closes her eyes. You hear her fall over (*thud*), and it's lights out. :D

When Lottie is relaxed she lies on her front with her legs kicked to the side, when she is really relaxed she lies on her front with her chin on the floor and her legs kicked out to the side, but then she is really really REALLY relaxed she had ehr head on the floor, eyes closed and her legs splayed like that. Don't know if that makes you feel any calmer!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Back