Unsure about bringing a new rabbit home, any advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billie007

Billie007
Reaction score
I have a 9ish month old male, Lenin and currently he's my only rabbit. He's never left on his own and he has a lovely hutch that I keep in the garden shed which he has access to all day, he is some what of a free roam rabbit as he has the whole backgarden and kitchen all day until the night when I put him in his hutch.

I've been really worried that Lenin might get lonely, overall he's such a happy and playful rabbit I don't know how to tell if he's showing signs of loneliness. Between my partner working and me at university Lenin is never left on his own, but I'd like to know if me and my partner are enough for him?

We've worked it out between us that we could afford a new a rabbit and a new hutch as Lenin's hutch is his own, but would Lenin get angry if another rabbit is in his garden? Lenin also has more toys than I can count, would be he OK sharing, or is it best I bought a new rabbit it's own toys.

Lenin is my first rabbit and I'm really trying to do everything for him, and if I do get another rabbit, preferable another neutered male I'll treat them both equally of course and I'll happily welcome a new rabbit.

I'll be very grateful for any advice!

Last edited:
Lots of rabbits are perfectly happy as only bunnies. My Aria absolutely refuses to consider accepting any other bunny in her space, I think because she doesn't want to have to share our attentions.

Is Lenin neutered? If he is, then you could consider getting a bunny friend for him. Contact your local shelter or rabbit rescue. They should have adoptable females that could be a good match for him. They should also walk you through the bonding process.

Hope that helps!

Rue

If not neutered, he needs to be. Most shelters will let you bring in your bunny and do dating with other bunnies to see if they are compatible. Our Commander Bun-Bun was a very strong willed female, and though she was only 5 pounds she'd attack any rabbit regardless of the size---she wasn't a sharing type and preferred being solo.

He is neutered, but I'm taking him a local pet shop to see how he behaves around the other rabbits before I consider getting him a friend.

How he behaves around other rabbits will largely depend on the individual rabbit. If there's a rescue organisation near you, they probably conduct bunny "dates" so you can see how they'll get along and pick the best match. I would be disinclined to take my rabbit to a pet store to test it out, because I'd be worried about illnesses etc.

Also, if you bring home a baby, they may seem to bond at first, only for the bond to break when the baby hits puberty.

Contact a rescue or shelter. There are so many really lovely rabbits in need of homes. Just because they're in the shelter doesn't mean they have behavior issues or anything. Often they simply aren't wanted anymore. :(

Hope that helps!

Rue

I'd personally leave him as an only bunny.

He has a great life ... as you say.. never left alone, lots of stuff to call his own, he's living the high life... why potentially mess with it?

I have tried to find a shelter for him to makes friends, but nearest one to me is miles away, plus the pet shop I'm going to is very well known in England it also has adopted rabbits from owners who place them there.

I appreciate everyone who has commented here, really helped thanks so much!

Back