Unsupervised Child + Bunnys = Disaster!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
All day, I've been thinking about Gypsy and hernew unexpected litter and I come home to find my own potentialdisaster. I cannot believe this! Today while I wasat work, my to-be stepsister and her son were here visiting mymom. Apparently they left Ian unsupervised in the rabbitroom, but told him not to let any bunnies out of their cages.Apparently he didn't listen!

When I got home, I went to feed the buns and I found Orion insideDaisy's cage, with Daisy!!!! It seems that she got the betterof him, she was chasing him around the cage, but he wasn't hurt at all,thank God. I'm so upset. I just got done worryingthat Basil might be pregnant because of my own stupidity and now I haveto worry about Daisy because of theirs. Even under the bestcircumstances I wouldn't breed Daisy because she just has an attitudein general. I honestly don't know why she didn't hurt him,she doesn't like the other buns and he's only 1/2 her size (she weighsaround 4 lbs and he's around 2 lbs).

I know that I could have her spayed, but I just can't do that,something about it just isn't right in my mind (I'm not passingjudgment on anyone here). I will take responsibility for alitter if it comes to that, I'll keep any kits that don't find homes,but I feel that my stepsister and my mom should take someresponsibility for this too. My mom will help as much as shecan, but she lets me live here rent free (I just help with bills) so Ican't ask her for anything really. My stepsister refuses todo anything. I don't want to rock the boat between Jen and mymom's fiance, but this is ridiculous, take responsibility for yourchild's actions!! I just want her to pay for me to have Daisyx-rayed (my vet will do that) in a few weeks to see if she is pregnantor not, but she says she won't do it, that's it's not her fault.

Ugh, I can't stand this. I'm so angry with her and I can'treally blame Ian because he's only 7, but he also didn't listen to hisor my mom. I know I just have to deal with it and hope forthe best. I should be able to find homes, I have severalfriends who want buns and were waiting in case Basil was pregnant, sothat shouldn't be a problem, I just can't believe this happened.

Oh amI:

Jen

I can certainly understand your anger.I had to install locks on our house petcages to keep kidsfrom letting the creatures out. :mad:

Pam

I'd be ripping as well, Jen. Pam's right - time to lock things up.

I'm glad she didn't hurt him. Her attitude may have saved them from breeding, but what a bummer. :disgust:

-Carolyn

So sorry about that!! I hate when we dontlisten LOL! But, I hope that everything works out ok... I think it isvery rude and wrong for this lady to not step up to her sons action!!This is very wrong and why some people should not be mothers!

OMG HON : I certainly feel your pain , Its sofrustrating I know , the fear the anxity , everything but I thinkFrustration is the hardest to cope with ,
thankfully it was a child that did this not an adult as I fear was thecase here , PM if you want Im here for you we can be in misery together, (no pun intended ) seriously ,

Oh Jen I am so very sorry. This is one of those rare times I praying for no babies.

I am so mad. I hate that this has happened to you. I'm here ifyou ever need to vent, a shoulder to cry on or just to talk. I'll Pmyou my Im and phone number. I have unlimited long distance and call youback.

Hugs for you Sweetie.

Tina

Pam: I used to have locks on all my cages whenwe were trying to selling our old house. But when we moved, Itook them off. I just made them NIC condos and the doors areheld shut with binder clips -- I have a hard time opening them, I haveno idea how he could do it. It's like those "childproof" pillbottles, it's always the kids who can open them.

Carolyn: I'm the most thankful that she didn't hurt him, kits I candeal with, but if he were hurt, I just would be completely besidemyself. I saved him from being snake food and he was such alittle thing, really compared to the rest of my buns, he still is.

bunnylover: I agree that some people just shouldn't have kids and asmuch as I do love my stepsister to be, she shouldn't have ever hadhim. He's actually being raised by her mom while she lives inCalifornia. (Sorry, I don't mean to speak badly of her, I'mjust so angry right now!)

Gypsy: I'm just so glad I don't have multiple buns to worry about, ormaybe I do, I don't really know how many he could have put together,but I don't think he could have gotten them back in the rightcages. I'm going to talk to him and tell him why he shouldn'thave done it, but at least he's a kid, I CANNOT BELIEVE an adult woulddo such a thing.

Tina: Thank you so much for the prayers. I justhope if she does have babies, she'll take care of them. She'sa pretty girl, and I know they would be adorable babies, justunexpected. They would be Holland Lop x Mini Rex x Himalayan.

Jen

Cirrus Hon there are some adults out there thatdo mean stuff like this to get even with people , or get even forreasons only in their own minds , or they are just down right jerks ,Hopefuly by this time next week the cameras will be installed and thiswill never happen to my kids again , Lol I think I just may go againstmy better judgement and place the Rats out with the rabbits , I knowmost people are scared wittless of rats . ( nahhhhh i couldnt do thatto the rats lol there inside critters too used to a constant heatersetting .OH OH better idea Just occured tome double up the undertankheaters and put a heat lamp on my 6 ft Red tail Boa lmao !!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that Jen, why didn't he listenis beyond me. I know that when I tell my sisters kids not to do it theydon't and they were at the same age. Well I am glad that he did not gethurt and I am glad that none of the buns did not get attacked either. Ihope it all goes well and if she does have kits I hope she cares forthem and I hope the kits will be fine when they are born.

Good luck

Angel

Thats a crock of...well you know...7 years oldIS old enough to know better....the mother SHOULD darn well beresponsible for it AND pay for the xray!!! As a mom I cansure say I would feel DARNED responsible....

Yes i agree,there,s no way i,d let my child gonear someone elses animal unsupervised family or not,children will bechildren and they can do the most sillyist of things and not realisethey could be hurting or putting lives in danger, the mother should payfor her own stupidity

That's so awful- I would be so angry about that.Hope you don't have to deal with babies, but like you said, at leastthey didn't injure each other. I dread to think what could havehappened...I had a bloodbath in about 20 seconds when Scooby and Frodowere being introduced slowly...if Frodo got trapped with Scooby therewould be no Frodo left.

I know I shouldn't stir things up, but I would have to say something toyour step sister. I know it's hard but we're the only ones to stand upfor our bunnies. I had a horrible situation last week in the vet when awoman was ignoring her toddler in the waiting room and allowing her toput her fingers in Jules carry cage. I repeatedly asked her to stop andthe woman's attitude was that bablies like fluffy bunnies, so why can'tshe try to pet her.

I removed the girls hand, and the mother got a bit stroppy. Luckily thevet nurse saw it and asked the mother to either control her childaround sick animals or leave her at home.

:mad:

And I had to fit a padlock to my bunny shed when I came back fromholiday to find my neighbour had been feeding my rabbits lettuce(despite me having a pet sitter coming in everyday!). They had reallyupset stomachs so I had to march over and ask her to leave my rabbitsalone in future. She didn't speak to me for a few weeks, but I didn'tcare. I was still fuming anyway!

Well, rant over (sorry :?!)- hope all works out OK in the end

Avril

I'm sorry Jen, talk abouta lack ofrespect as far as your wishes are concerned! I'd be very upset as well,so vent away. I know a child did it, but still,he should havebeen told "no" when it came to opening the cage and supervised moreclosely.

Usually I'm excited when we hear of a possible litter coming, but like Tina, this time I am really hoping not.

Jen,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

Just a suggestion, but maybe after you get the bun x-rayed you couldshow the bill to this girl and ask if she would like to help you outwith it. I know she already said she wouldn't.....but maybeif she sees how much it cost she'd soften up and throw a few bucks atya :)

::Keeping fingers crossed forno babies::

I'm sorry to hear of your new worries.It is too bad that you can't leave simple instructions for the house tofollow. Go get a couple of cheap master locks at WalMart andput those buns under lock and key. Sad that most of us(should or) do lock our cages! (My neighbor's son would climbour fence and try to pet my bunnies!!??)GGGGrrrrrr!! :mad:

Chin up, little buck-a-roo! Hoping everything will be ok.

Hugs!

Shorty, Star & Krick

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but they weretogether for at least 1 hour, so we'll see in a month.LOL I'm able tobe a little calmer about the wholething now. I really hope she's not pregnant, but at thispoint, there isn't anything I can do. I may not have herx-rayed because she really hates to even leave the critter room, letalone the house and I don't want to stress her. Plus if mystepsister won't help, it's just so expensive. I only paidfor it with Basil because it was my own stupid fault. I thinkI'll just watch her and see.

I went yesterday and got more locks. Now all my cages havelocks for when I'm not around. I hate to do it because itmakes opening the cages a pain, but I will not risk this happeningagain. I would have had to get them eventually because whenShawn and I find a house, his friend is going to stay with us for awhile and he has a 2 year old daughter.

Orion is still traumatized by the whole thing. He hides inthe back of the cage when I open the door and only comes out when heknows it just me. Poor boy, he was scared by the evilgirlie. She only has eyes for Sage. (His cage isnext to hers and she sleeps next to him through the bars.)

On an up note, and this is terrible of me, but I think it's veryfunny.It turns out that hecouldn't keep his hands out of other cages either and my one rat isreally nasty about hands in his cage (I have to give him a treat so heleaves me alone to get his dishes, he's a strange one LOL) so Squeakersbit him a good one -- made him bleed.

Jen

omg !! whata good Rat , I have a femalelike that, she hates anyone , even me inher cage , which should prove interestingto getting the babies out lol .

nothing bleeds more than arat bit I have 2 grankids who are dumb enoughto keep sticking fingrers inand getting bitten , MAYBE!it taught the stinker to keephis hands off cages , ANDNOyour not terribleserves the little Twit right.

Well, I just wanted to say that I think I madeit without babies. Daisy would be due Sat. and she isn'tshowing any signs of pregnancy. I tried palpating her andcouldn't feel anything. I could be wrong, she's still gettinga nest box,but I'm crossing my fingers at this point.

Jen

I have some whoshow no outward signs ofpregnancy also , so justwatch her , have a nest boxready on the friday and pray forthe best hon , I hope allgoes well and she doesntkindlle . But if she does you haveall of us for support.

Latest posts

Back