Unsafe bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanyangi

Reaction score
So i got 5 bags of these beddings for 50% off from a pet store closing down i wanted to use it to put on top of wood pellets to make it softer for my rabbits feet but i just found out bedding with baking soda is unsafe for rabbits🤦🏻‍♀️thankfully ive not used it yet but i feel so dumb just finding this out now🤦🏻‍♀️ this is prob silly but im curious is there anyway i can still use it? Like putting it on the very bottom and then put multiple newspaper layers, the wood pellets then hay on top? Or is it just straight up dangerous? ofc my rabbits safety comes first but just curious if this is possible before completely throwing it out. Im guessing these aren’t safe for any small animal either?? smh

Attachments

• IMG_7779.jpeg
    IMG_7779.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7778.png
    IMG_7778.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
The danger comes from possible ingestion. Or if dusty, inhalation risk. If you could absolutely prevent contact with the litter and stirring up dust from it, and the risk of your rabbit trying to eat any of it, like with a screen over the top of all layers of litter to prevent digging, with the baking soda one on the very bottom under the pellet litter, only then maybe it could be safe.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I just used a thick layer of hay over the pellets to make it softer for my rabbits. Though I did end up adding a soft screen under the hay as well, to help prevent digging.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/litter-with-baking-soda.102269/

We learned the hard way on sophresh bedding containing baking soda. I should have KNOWN BETTER. Two rescued Flemishes were taken in by us in December 2018. The previous owner gave us the bag of sophresh containing baking soda.

Their guinea-pig sized caging unit included the water bowl dripping onto the baking soda element bedding. One boy was constantly thirsty. Due to mounting and consistent spraying by the bonded pair, they were both scheduled for neuters.

When the necropsy was done on our agouti love, DVM found that his lungs were "fried" so to speak. Less than 1/4 normal respiratory function. Previous to the death of our newest rescue Flemish boy intake and another guinea pig undergoing surgery, the clinic had not implemented radiographs prior to surgery. Now xrays are surgery protocol.

When I see the words baking soda bedding, I cringe!! Young person sales associate at a Petco had no clue when he was trying to sell odor control bedding to a rabbit owner.

Thanks for relinking that article from Dancing Rabbit Refuge, also including my notes on our agouti Flemish who died,
@JBun .

Last edited:
Wow thanks everyone I had no idea thank god I ran into a youtube video where they mentioned this or else I would probably be using it right now😩 my rabbit doesn't eat or dig in her litter box but I still don't wanna risk it. Final question is there any animal that is safe to use this? ik some cat litters have baking soda or it also bad for them? this was such a waste of money will never understand why companies sell products like these

Latest posts

Back