Unresolved head tilt and constant rolling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Maureen,

You must be a night person like me! :) No changes really. She seems a little stronger but still can't move and her head is still at 90 degrees. It kills me to know that she sits in the exact same place all day with her little head resting on the edge of her litterbox. I give her a really good massage every day to keep her muscles from getting stiff or sore.

Her appetite seems to have decreased a little, but I assume that might be because she is taking so much medication. I'm going to wait until she's taken the Zithromax fora week or two to re-evaluate how her quality of life is. I have to remember to be very patient. She'll go in for fluids w/ vitamins on Saturday which usually perks her up.

Her bottle of PenG is labeled Penicillin G- Procaine Inj. Randy said if she has Procaine only to give the shot every day, but if it is the other kind that has the other thing mixed in (starts with a B, can't remember the name) to give it every other day. So do you think that I must have Procaine only?

Cara

the Zithromax could decrease her appetite a little ; Babette took it for awhile and her appetite went down a little
if it says Pen procaine G then it should be given every day ; that is the short acting kind.
I was hoping that she would be a lot better but it really is too soon.

yeh
I am a night person

I hope that she improves
poor bunny :(

"hugs"
Maureen

Yes, the loss of appetite is probably due to the medication. Ronnie didn't get his appetite back until he was off Pen G. If you have the Pen G Procaine, and are to administer it every day, try to find out if you have to give the shots in rounds with off-days in between. We were giving ours in rounds of 7 days of shots, none for 3 days, again for 7 days etc. I never got around to asking the vet the purpose of the off-days though.

Keep on truckin'. It's hard at times because improvement can be slow, but it seems like you got Jessie on a good treatment regimen.

Hi everyone who has been helping me with Jessie,

I'm happy to say she's doing pretty well! She has been on Azithromiacin for 6 days now. She's been getting PenG injections every day rather than every other (because she has Procaine only) and she's still taking Oxybendazole.

She's gotten a lot stronger. She doesn't actually move around, but she can take steps forward and then move herself back. She can also turn around in a circle on her own without rolling. When she is resting her head is still at3:00, but when she's trying to move around she lifts it up to about 2:00. Her appetite is good, she grooms herself and her eyes are bright and alert. She gets a massage or two every day and she can spend more time with Button since she's more steady on her feet :)

Cara

Jessie can hop!!!! Well, kind of :pbut regardless of how clumsy she might look doing it I am thrilled and so proud of her!! I know I can thank the advice from the forum for her progress. It scares me to think that without the help of this group, she would have just been taking a small dose of Oxybendazole. She was in such bad shape I don't think she would have made it.

She can get around fairly well. Her head is at 2:00. She and Button are back to being lovebuns. TonightI thought how sweet it was that Button was giving her this really long face groom. Then I realized what he was doing was trying to lick off the azithromiacin that gets on her face and neck while I am wrestling with her and the syringe. I wish she loved it as much as he does! :) Either way, Jessie was in heaven. She's such a strong little girl!

She'll go back to the vet on June 1. Until then I'm planning to keep giving her the medicine as I have been, giving her neck massages every day and trying to get her to gain some weight. She's pretty thin even though her appetite is good.

Cara

WOW!!

This really makes me happy !!!!and..

I have to admit that your vetis going to have to admit that she learned a thing or two from you, Cara:)

it also makes me feel good that( you) a member who really listened to the forum carefully and followedour advice (mainly Randy"s )
has a bun that went from really hopeless to really hopeful!!!

I am so happy that she's getting well :D
Maureen

Back