Unknown illness RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire17480

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can pehaps give me a little bit of hope.
I have a 5yr old dwarf lop called Cheeko who I found this morning a bit lethargic. He was very quiet not going anywhere and not eating, on top of this I was able pick him up and put him on his back (first time ever!). I took him to the vet immediately but the vet isn't sure whats wrong. He has been having his teeth checked regulary for a couple of years as some spurs were found but they have never caused him any bother and the vet today said he saw no inflammation, redness or soreness in his mouth. Initially the vet was going to give him a dental first thing tmrw but since I left him there the vet seems to have had a re-think and now is going to try to persevere with blood tests I requested (he couldn't get blood tonight will try agian tmrw) as he is 'less convinced that it is a tooth problem'.

I don't know what could be wrong, he is a house bunny only other animal he has contact with is my kitten and there is no sign of injury. The vet says he isn't in pain but has put him on antibiotics and pain relief and has syringe fed him. This care will continue throughout the night. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas what might be going on? Any hope that I am going to get my grumpy bun back the way he should be all feisty and independent?

he had two wet poo's this morning he gets them once in a while so his bowels seem to be moving but vet said his tummy felt empty so maybe not much to come out.

hopefully the blood test will reveal something
teeth can cause a rabbit not to eat but unless he hadn't eaten for awhile it wouldn't make him lethargic.
I hope that your vet can get to the bottom of the problems :(

I called the vet again to make sure they checked he wasn't bloated, he isn't! Also the vet said after he had been syringe fed he had nibbled on some food on his own accord, hoping thats a great sign. No pee or poo though as yet (well least while the vet was there but he said he left a while ago and its only the nurse there)

Hi all, thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately its bad news, the vet this morning was able to get bloods and they showed renal failure which the vet thought was a symptom of further organ deterioration. Basically my bunny was put to sleep this afternoon because he was getting old. Rather than keep him going on meds and having him suffer it was the best thing, I had 5 and a half fantastic years with him and he was treated like a prince. I'm sure he's out there somewhere banging his wee grumpy foot and eating something he shouldn't be.

Oh, I'm so sorry! That is a good image of him off being a sassy bunny and I hope you can use that memory to keep yourself from feeling too sad. It sounds like he had a great several years with you. Binky free, Cheeko.
:rainbow:

I'm really sorry Claire. I had a bunny also diagnosed with renal failure this July and I also had him PTS..he had no quality of life and was weak and thin.
You did the best thing:(

Oh Claire, I'm so sorry, hon. I'm thinking of you. I think it was for the best too, but, that is never a feel good decision, ever.:hug:

RIP Cheeko :rainbow:

Thanks everyone for all your kind words, its much appreciated especially since you all seem to agree it was the best thing for him as that guilty thought had crept up on me a couple of times.

Angieluv you won't believe how much Cheeko looks like the bunny on the left in your pic. I'll try put one of him on here if I can.
claire x

the buns in my avatar are my newest edition. Penn was named Penny so I shortened it. i'd love to see Cheeko's pics
here are a few my my new boy (b0nded to daisy the harlequin)

100_1225Large-1.jpg

100_1231Large.jpg

OMG I dont' know how to attach pics on msgs all al my pics are on my laptop not online but that bunny is the spitting image of Cheeko! I never knew he was bred untilla couple months ago, I found out his grand father was a show winner for best in breed, maybe they are related? Also what breed are they exactly? I was tld he was a dwarf lop but had cashmere in him, his fur war so fine and soft!

your bunnies also look like my Muffin, but she's only part lop, and Holland at that, so she might be smaller than your guys. Her ears are a bit shorter too, but definitely the same coloring.
very recent, she's in the background here:
IMG_0007.jpg

demonstrating ear control:
Picture08124.jpg

pet grass:
Picture08083.jpg

one of the first pics i have of her
Picture08023.jpg

Some people would say that it's boring having a bunny that looks like other people's bunnies, but I think it is fun to see other bunnies that look like yours. Just like hearing about bunnies that have personalities like mine makes me smile, seeing other bunnies like mine is heartwarming. Knowing that a bit of your bunny is out there, in looks and/or personality, can help you feel better that they are not totally gone. :hug:

All of these pics are of Cheeko its just his age changing. This has always been one of my faves, everyone thinks hes stuffed. Definately bigger than your girl tho, I have a pic of him and Tiffany my 5 month old kitten and she looks tiny next to him lol

Penn is a mini-lop and definitely bigger than Cheeko or Muffin. It's hard to tell size in the pics but Pennbprobably weighs about 7 lbs.

Muffin is definitely the same color as Penn and (really cute) and facial expression in that Pic looks like Penn but his ears are longer than Muffin.

Claire I will link you with how to put your pics on the forum through phtoobucket.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11950&forum_id=47

I would love to see Cheeko.

tonyshuman..what color would you call Muffin and Penn??

Back