Unhappy...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequin

Reaction score
Ok, so Annon, I was surprised to discover upon taking home, is quite vocal.

Now I understand he is upset when he is grunting. He has, once that I've seen, even lightly grunted at Echo, his partner.

Anyway, this is about he and I, though. When I pour more food into his dish, he grunts pretty loudly and smacks the cup out of my hand. He is alright with being pet in certain areas, but he doesn't allow his nose to be touched unless he is being stroked a specific way. I do know he doesn't like me moving his towels, and sometimes even entering the area. He will grunt if I offer him fruit pieces, or have him eat out of my hand (which he does perfectly fine)

I understand those are pretty much him expressing his feelings. But one thing that bothers me is that If I stop petting him to pet Echo, he lunges and grunts. He never bites, and it doesn't seem like he's trying to hurt anyone. He usually ends up with his paws over echo's back after lunging. Anyway, when this happens his grunts are a lot... louder? I guess they sound a LOT more unhappy, kind of like he is crying? And if both are being pet he may have some low grunts then calm down.

Also, he only acts as such toward me. He will grunt at others but it is a lot less, and less upset sounding. He doesn't lunge at anyone else when given food, and he just in general seems to really have a problem with me... Which upsets me much. What can I do to help the situation?

Also, he is fixed.

The grunting when feeding is probably more like the honking they do when they are excited about something(like getting treats or being fed), rather than like the growling type grunt they do when upset. So I would think that what your hearing at feeding time is more that he's exited or anxious to eat. This also may be what he is doing with his bunny friend. If he's not lunging, nipping, or pinning his ears back with Echo, the he may just be doing the honking that is because he's happy or likes Echo. The lunging and growling he does when you stop petting him is most likely because he considers himself top bun in the grooming pecking order and you technically(in his mind) aren't allowed to stop grooming him to groom(pet) Echo, until he feels like he's done with being petted first. You could try just scooting him away first, before you start petting Echo.

The lunging when you feed him and not other's could be because he's cage aggressive and he's used to you being the primary caretaker and so isn't nervous about you feeding him. I have a cage aggressive bun. In fact she bit me this morning when I went to feed her, yet she loves her nose rubs and loves to be snuggled. I think if there were someone besides me feeding her, she would be too nervous to bite them and would probably hide at the back of her cage. Lucky me right? :)

It's not that he has a problem with you. It's more that he's comfortable with you and so he feels like it's ok to let you know how he's feeling. So just try and hear the difference between the different vocalizations. Honking/grunting is happy, growling/grunting is when upset and usually louder than the honking. This website is has some good info on understanding how rabbits communicate.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

My Digdug was an aggressive, grunting girl. I love & appreciate grumpy bunnies and never once took it personal.. they'll shower you with love when their ready.. and not a moment before. try laying your head on the floor/carpet,.. Even the tuffies usually run over and cover you with bunny kisses
:bunny24

Well, thank you, JBun! I feel much better about it. I will try to listen more to his noises. I had actually read through that a few weeks ago. I can never find good examples of rabbit noises for feelings. Maybe I should record him for future reference...

Digdug, I don't think Annon will ever be a kisser, haha. Though, I wouldn't mind if he did. I hope I don't offend him too often!

Commander Bun-Bun used to be just like that too, but she was also a very loving bun when she wanted to be. She'd lay on the arm of the chair or under my feet, of course, she'd grunt and nudge my arm or feet so they could be moved to accomodate her. Lill is always grunting too, especially for food and treats and comes up and nuzzles our hands so that she "who must be obeyed" can get rubbed.

Annon sounds just like my 6 year old lone female! My bf sometimes thinks it's her being mad and we joke about her being so rude and spoiled but it's just bunnies being bunnies. Jbun is right regarding the cage and feeling top-bun and cage aggressive. Acacia will allow me to touch noses with her now too, she was always so shy and reserved but raisins will make a bunny do anything!

Latest posts

Back