unfit rabbit :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butsy

Reaction score
Ok so I have a problem !!! Butsy, one year old minilop if veryyy fat!!! she has a big cage, and during the day, she has the run of the whole house!! But she neeeever gets out of her cage.. I will admit to givving to many treats.. I will stop that, but how can I get hher to exercise? I've tried toys and everything, she is just so lazy!! She eats half a cup of pellets a day and half to a full cup of veggies also .. Anyone have any ideas? Please help!

AGILITY!!!
Make some simple jumps, even a pole on top of some movies will work, and get her to go over them. You might even be able to set a couple up and she will do it on her own once she figures it out. Tunnels are also great and bunnies love them.

You can also get her to do something for a treat. If she is out, get her to run over to you to get a small piece of treat. If she will do it, you keep moving around and get her to follow you.

If you can, put a level or shelf in the cage. Even a step stool can work. Jumping up works some different muscles than just running around. Put some food or something on there. My buns love the levels in their cages.

You might also need to cut down the pellets. Maybe go to 1/3 of a cup per day or even less is she needs it. Push the veggies and hay so she is eating buy they aren't as calorie dense. Hiding the pellets can also work. Try stuffing a paper bag with hay and putting some pellets in it as well. There are dog toys that you put food in and they have to work to get it out, so try those for feeding.

Great ideas thanks ! She does have a level in her cage but recently stopped using it as much :( .. I love the agility idea !!!! How do I get her to go over the pole tho? She does not like being picked up .. I will definatly give it a try tho!!!

Great ideas thanks ! She does have a level in her cage but recently stopped using it as much :( .. I love the agility idea !!!! How do I get her to go over the pole tho? She does not like being picked up .. I will definatly give it a try tho!!!

What kind of vegetables? I really consider vegetables more of a treat for my rabbits than anything. The most I give is a little spinach for some extra vitamin c, things like carrots could really be adding to your weight problem. What kind of food is your rabbit on? Also, some rabbits are uninterested in toys. Big thing, you NEED hay in your diet. Timothy is best, orchard grass hay is okay too, absolutely NO alfalfa, it's way too much protein. I don't recommend buying the hay from a pet store or grocery store if you can avoid it. For one thing, it's ridiculously priced, and also, it can sit on shelves for long periods of time and is far more prone to mold. If you can swing it, a compressed bale or even trying to buy part of a full bale from someone with large animals is a good idea too. Anyways, hay is full of fiber and can really help a rabbit drop weight. cutting down on pellets is going to be another requirement, hope this helps. :)

If you are up for it, you could try a hay diet for a few days. No Pellets, No treats unlimited hay and lots of water. You can't really force a rabbit to exercise, but out of cage play time is good. I wouldn't stick to that diet for more than 3 or 4 days. Then slowly introduce less pellets back in. I do this with some of my does before I breed them, having them overweight can cause so many problems with gestation and kindling.

i'd say your best bet is to start making her forrage for her food instead of just dipping her head into a bowl.

so for exxample get an old cereal box in which the lid can be closed and fill it with a handful of pellets and punch some holes in the sides. she will have do rip appart the box or move it around so the pellets fall out.

make boxes stuffed with hay and treats as well...

i'm not very creative i'm sure you could come up with mroe exciting things than that :p

butsy wrote:
You can start with the pole on the ground and get her to go over. Just put her in front of it (and try to block her from going around) and tickle her bum to get her to go. Try going back and forth until she starts to get it. You can them raise the bar up to challenge her a bit. My rabbits like to go toward their cage, so you can try that as well. They don't have to be able to go in the cage, but at home they seem to jump better going in that direction.

If you are at home you don't need a harness and leash but it can help. If she will tolerate one, then you can use it but if she won't take it then don't worry. Unless there is a club near you that does demos, you shouldn't have to have one.

vegetables are a treat? I was giving 3 cups of vegetables a day! granted most are of the leafy green or herb variety, but she was getting them twice a day. Is this too much?

MiniLopHop wrote:
vegetables are a treat? I was giving 3 cups of vegetables a day! granted most are of the leafy green or herb variety, but she was getting them twice a day. Is this too much?
the rule of thumb is generally 2 cups of veggies per day for every 3 kilos of rabbit you have :) dont stress

if i dont get in the buns play area with them to play they will just lay around ...so i get in there with each one and tickle their butt and kinda chase them...i only do this with the ones that are ok with being chased..some bunnies will be frightened of this so dont do it if ur bun looks like its running for its life...most of mine will binky while their running around...thats how i know their not scared...and i do this for a couple min and then let them rest cuz buns have alot of energy but only in short spurts...
and cutting back on the pellets will help ...

Putting items of food, the bed, the water bowl and the litter tray as far apart as possible helps. That way a rabbit has to move about. If everything is within a 3' radius they don't really see the point in hopping across the room and back :)

Ahhhhhh that's a good one, to spread her stuff around !! Do you think she will know I switched them places or just be thirtsy all day? Cuz I could put her food on the top level and stuff like that! That's a great idea also!! And butsy is kinda a independant bun, you would not want to tickle her bum :p you need permission before touching that princess :p

Back