Unfamiliar with a few breeds....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
I am unfamiliar personally with a few breeds that I have found that may need homes. If you personally have, or have experience with any of the following as pets can you give me your input/opinion/comments:

Lionhead (would be a kit or a junior show bunny)

or

Himilayan (would be a junior who was to be shown, but didn't turn out quite right - breeder stressed this breed makes very nice pets and is kind of quirky)

or

Angora Breeds (I want to know about how people feel about the maintenance and if it is worth it and any other comments you may have as the people I have spoken with only kept them as "stock" in a shed :()

Himalayans are one of the most docile breeds. Angoras can also be very docile due to the grooming/attention they require.

I hear that lionheads are very sweet and gentle and sooo nice. But I know for sure that the grooming is not fun. Lol

I've never owned any of those 3 breeds. But I do know people that raise English Angoras. If you keep him/her in the house, be prepared for a LOT of hair, covering just about everything. And they have to be groomed almost daily, clipped down, etc. You see a lot of kids lugging around Himis at the shows, very laid back bunnies. Lionheads, I think, are generally fairly laid back...although I'm sure you might get some "hyper" lines, due to the ND blood in there. Plus the Lionheads need groomed quite frequently, too. I'm lazy, so I highly doubt I'll ever have any of the "high maintenance" breeds. LOL

^^^^ ah yes I forgot to mention the hair covered cage, floor, water in water bowl, EVERYTHING!
And I'm lazy too, I should not have got a high maintenance bunny lol

I have found that lionheads tend to have some attitude. Most are friendly, but they will let you know when they are not happy. As far as grooming, the ones I have had have not really needed more than a comb through once in a while. However, there are some that do need daily brushing to prevent matting.

I have no personal experience with himilayans, but have heard that they are fairly laid back.

Angoras tend to be friendly and outgoing. I think that you do have to want to do the coat care as if it becomes work and something you 'have' to do, then you seem more likely to end up with a matted mess. Many people do get an angora to use the wool and keep the rabbit as a pet.

It is important to keep in mind that some things can go for all breeds. Intact rabbits can be aggressive, territorial and display other unwanted behaviours. Since it seems like the rabbits you might be dealing with are from breeders, they would not be spayed or neutered. The people possibably getting these rabbits do need to understand what intact rabbits can be like and that it can take some time for hormones to settle down once the rabbit is altered.

While I like to think I'd be a dutiful owner and groom my rabbit all the time, I worry that as my family grows that might not happen. I need to think long term about my family and I think the himi might be a great fit! I will go to meet him sometimes soon :D He will be low maintenance and he is very calm. I hope I can get over the pink eyes. I know that sounds shallow, but if it weren't for the pink eyes that could be my favorite breed!

Latest posts

Back