Underweight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
I have been giving my rabbit, Ronin, 1/4 c. of Oxbow pellets a day. He gets half in the morning, and half at night. He also gets unlimited grass hay and veggies. Right now he weighs 6 pounds. Since he has a bit of fluff, I have a hard time telling if I am feeding him enough. I can feel his ribs, spine, shoulder blades, and hips. Should he be getting more pellets? Here are some pictures, if they help at all:

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Obviously he wasn't feeling very photogenic today.
Thanks!

Rabbits do tend to be more bony than a dog or cat and they can have more of an issue putting muscle on the bones. So feeling the spine, ribs and hips is not a huge issue. If you have a fat rabbit, you can still feel the bones even if it is a bit harder. Fat or obese rabbits tend to have more fat around the belly and sides and feel more squishy. A thin rabbit you would very easily feel the bones and not feel much muscle around them. A healthy weight rabbit, you can feel the bones but there is also some fat and muscle around them.

Everyone else has good advice.

Also I watch their energy levels. It is a key way to tell how a rabbit is feeling. They will be a bit more sulky if they are hungry. They may also become more destructive. Remember the rabbit food pyramid. If they are an adult, their diet should be at least 80% hay. At least that is what I have been told. I would not give them unlimited veggies but that is just me.

Thanks for input everyone!
I can feel his bones, but there is defiantly some fat and muscle there too.
When I took him to the vet last May to get him neutered, they gave him a check up and he was, indeed, healthy. I just wanted to make sure he was still at a healthy weight. He seems very hungry at meal time, and eats his pellets very quickly. I don't give him unlimited veggies - I re-read my post and saw that it sounded like I did. He gets about 1-2 cups of leafy greens and other veggies a day that I have read about and are safe.

Bunnies tend to get excited about pellets and some will gobble them up pretty quickly. This doesn't mean his is that hungry, but more that he really likes pellets.

Latest posts

Back