Unbeliveable shedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristinpsc

Reaction score
Hey all, im new here. My name is kristin and my little bunny is Max, we think she is a mini lop, although NOT so mini. She is shedding soo much and it wont stop. I know they blow their coat once in a while, but this has been going on for months and months! I brush her a lot but the hair forms around the edges of her cage daily. Is there anything i can do?!

Thanks Kristin!

ps. i have a picture of max on my computer but i cant seem to post it, it keeps saying its too big. i tried to make it smaller, it still wont work.

Kristinpsc wrote:
Hey all, im new here. My name is kristin and my little bunny is Max, we think she is a mini lop, although NOT so mini. She is shedding soo much and it wont stop. I know they blow their coat once in a while, but this has been going on for months and months! I brush her a lot but the hair forms around the edges of her cage daily. Is there anything i can do?!

Thanks Kristin!

ps. i have a picture of max on my computer but i cant seem to post it, it keeps saying its too big. i tried to make it smaller, it still wont work.
Try using tinypic.com for your photo. Its very easy to use.

Use the IRL line (the third one), andcopy the line and paste, then hit the preview button to make sure it works.:)

RO Staff

Hello,

Sometimes they just shed a lot. I have one that doesn't actually ever stop shedding, it just gets worst every once and a while.

I'd just keep brushing her. Make sure she gets plenty of hay (Timothy if she's older, Alfalfaif she's young,) to keep her digestive system moving incase she’s ingesting any fur.

Don't you love the missleadingness of the minlops? 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds isn't what I'd call mini either.

As for the picture, you may want to try hosting it on photobucket or another host and just copying the part that looks like this-

IMG_0419 .jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

That's my ultra shedder by the way.

~Christine~

Sometimes mine shed tremendous amounts...I can pull the hair out with my hands. What I think is strange is that my 6 all shed at different times...I thought I t was supposed to have a relationship with temperature changes and mine all live in one room. As far as mini-lops go..I have 3 of them . The largest is about 51/2 lbs. Last week I saw my first French lop in person. He was huge..I mean really huge somewhere around 22 lbs. He made my cats look like dwarfs...now I know why they are called mini-lops.

Lots of buns are shedding more frequently this winter- I wonder if it's the weather?:ponder:

What are you feeding your rabbit? Some rabbits do better with low protein pellets- the normal 16% protein pellets cause them to constantly shed and have lots of excess cecals. I know Mocha started her juvenile molt around 5 months and it wouldn't stop, kept looking worse, until I switched her to low protein timothy pellets. Then her coat condition really improved. But she also had excess cecals and sludgy urine from the alfalfa pellets, so I think she was more sensitive than most.

Thanks you all for the replies! okay here is a picture of max a little while ago, she is bigger now! hope it works. AS for what we feed her its called Forti-Diet made by Kaytee. Does anyone know if thats good or can suggest another one that may help with her shedding? Thanks again

IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f199/kristinpsc/Max_carrot1.jpg[/IMG]

Forti Diet is what Mocha was eating. IMO it has too much protein- 17%. How old is she? If she is close to a year or more, you could switch her to Kaytee Timothy Complete. You could also check local feed stores for rabbit pellets that are 16% protein or less, some make 15% protein "maintenance" pellets for adults. Many of these brands have better quality than most Kaytee pellets. I'm not a fan of them, but their Timothy pellets are supposed to be good.

I really like the Oxbow brand. Either their alfalfa or their timothy pellets would be much better than Kaytee Forti Diet. Only problem is that they can be a little harder to find. My buns eat Oxbow Bunny Basics/T- their timothy pellets.

Thank you for replying. Max is about two years old. So basically find a food that has less then 16% protein and that may help with the shedding?Do youorder your food from the internet or can you find oxbow in the stores?

Some pet stores do carry Oxbow. You might have to look around a bit. You can order online from Oxbow's home site or from rabbit supply websites. I buy my pellets from a store because it is cheaper, but I order bulk hay directly from Oxbow. If you want Kaytee, many pet stores carry it.

Thank you all for the advice. I went to the website and found a store near me that sells oxbow tim pellets. I plan to swich to that brand, i read a little about it and like you said its seems better then kaytee and less protein. Either way it sounds better for max, but i also hope it helps with the shedding! Thanks all!

[line]

Hey!

I'm new too, but DEFINETLY not to rabbits. This shedding is referred to as "molting." Most rabbits molt at least once a year. I find that my breeders usually molt in August and September, right after the show. The best thing you can do is to buy baby wipes and brush the fur and run the baby wipe over it once a day. Zeek sheds for two months. I think it's funny to look at (yet mats of fur to clean up!) because my rabbits don't live inside. I used to have a broken mini lop. But are you sure yours isn't a broken Holland lop? They tend to molt a lot more. Well, that's all the advice I have!

baby wipes huh....I will definitley try that. I plan to get new food and slowly intoduce her to that and hope that helps too. I will try the baby wipes thing though thanks for the advice, her shedding is so bad i could use all the help i can get with it!!

That pic of Max is soooo cute! He's such a little cutie. I have a lop named Thor.I wish I I had a pic...I suppose she's somwhat close to your Max.

Back