Unaltered Male intro to Neutered Male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candykittten

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old neutered male lionhead named Jacko and I have recently been looking into getting him a companion. Jacko is shy and fairly independent and I feel like a friend would make him happier. All the reading I have been doing says that altered male to female intro's are the most successful, but when I was at my local OSPCA today, I fell in love with one of their unaltered males. One of the employees said that I shouldn't have too hard of a time introing them since my guy is neutered, but being paranoid I wanted to research it first. However, I haven't been able to find much reading on neutered males living with intact males.

I spent a good amount of time with the OSPCA male today; his name is Houdini, and he seems to be very laid back and friendly. He did "chin" most of the objects and cages around him though which makes me wonder if he is territorial? I am also worried because he has a good 5 pounds on my Jacko and I wouldn't want him to get injured.

I would be planning on getting Houdini neutered but would want to wait until around Christmas time so I could ask for the procedure as my xmas gift.

Does anyone have any experience keeping or introing altered males with unaltered males?

Thanks

Ok thank you.. how soon after the procedure should the intros happen?

In your opinion am I wasting my time trying to bond two males? I have a smaller apartment and I don't really have room for longterm two rabbit pens.

candykittten wrote:
In your opinion am I wasting my time trying to bond two males? I have a smaller apartment and I don't really have room for longterm two rabbit pens.
IMO
If you dont have the room to keep 2 rabbits seperate long term, then dont get a second rabbit. Theres still the chance that if you got a fixed female, they wouldn't get along.
Im sure Jacko is perfectly happy on his own, just toss him a few extra toys if you think he would like a companion... or better yet, a stuffed bunny rabbit :)

When approaching any bonding you really have to be prepared that they may never bond. I had a bonded pair that had a big fight and I had to separate them while their wounds healed. I was never able to rebond them and they lived separately until Fiona died.

Latest posts

Back