Unaltered male and cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viola

Reaction score
Hey lovelies, just checking on our infinite wisdom.
I have just moved house, and put Toulouse, my unaltered one year old male on the deck of our house, he is ridiculously happy here, constantly binkying around the deck and livingroom, my housemates can give him attention all the time, and he has his own very large hutch for his own space. He is currently keeping my feet warm, flopped out on his side. The only thing is, my housemate also has a cat, who is 14 years old, very sweet tempered, but very creeped out by Louie. We kept them very separate at first, and have been gradually letting them into each other's space, very well supervised, of course. Louie is very friendly and goes up to mark the cat with his chin, but the cat runs away scared. Have any of you had success bonding a cat and a bunny?

My friend had several indoor cats who all tolerated the bunny, and one became very close to the bunny - the two used to sleep together.

I have cats and a bunny (formerly 2 bunnies, until 1-2 months ago), but my situation is a little different. My bunny house is a shed with a large outdoor enclosure. In nice weather, buns are allowed to run around our fenced in yard with our chickens. Cats are allowed in there, too, and this is the only time cats and buns are together. The three older cats all ignore the bunnies - they don't harass them, but are not interested in bonding with them. When cats and bunnies (all spayed/neutered) first met, though, buns were very curious about the cats and tried to befriend them. They would approach the cats and try to touch faces, just like your bun seems to be doing. Cats would ignore, or occasionally give the bun a swat, just as a gesture to say "keep away", never actually making contact with the bun. Our other cat sees the buns as prey, so we don't let him in the chicken/bunny yard.

So, depending on the individual personalities involved, it is possible to bond them, or at least get them to the point of mutual tolerance and respect.

Latest posts

Back