Un-Educated Things People Say

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
I'm sure loads of you, if not, most, have heard some people who don't raise/own rabbits say some of the strangest things. So, share them here!

Some of the strangest things I have heard:

Rabbits are JUST like horses! - From a horse person :?Most likely talking about showing, "grooming", tack (rabbits' belongings), their toes (clipped,etc.) lol.

Is your bunny a boy or a girl? -The cage card clearly stated that, hun. This was after I WATCHED them read the card ;)lol

Look at that baby bunny! - Talking about my 1-year old Polish doe :)

ETA: I have another one! This one is really good, lol. Ok, first the story behind it, at Thurston County Fair, you are able to bring your rabbit out to the petting table for kids to pet it, after you'd done your barn chores (herdsmanship). The kids/parents can pet and ask questions. Here's some the most silly questions I've been asked while on the petting table:

Is that your bunny? - Obviously! :p

So what are some of the funny things you have heard? I'm sure I know more, I just can't really think of them off the top of my head...

Emily

Rabbits really are just like horses. There are so many similarities, that it is almost scary. Watch a horse for hours, then watch a bunny for hours...its amazing :p.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is when someone commented on one of my bunny videos "I think that all rodents do that spazz thing."

Well, to be honest, I thought rabbits were rodents too until just before getting Billy, when I decided to look it up online! ;)

Mines not really rabbit related, but livestock.

If you have ever been to a stockyard at a state fair.. its a dirty sandy muddy mucky place. The pigs we bring in top out at 275lbs.. they can plow through you like your paper.. we don't call them pigs at that point.. we call them Market Swine.

So we are sitting on our showboxes, and this *Buffy* walks up, with a bunch of other *plastics*.. for those not in the know.. Buffy was blonde, and froo froo.. wearing small clothing and high heeled sandals, face full of makeup and acting all dainty.. her plastics were her followers who were similiar to her in appearance.

So they tip toe up so their heels don't sink in the muck, complain to the guys in charge about making this place more tidy and getting some air freshners.. that it's an outrage to have all these cows (which they were steers HELLO) and piggies in here and it smell.. (it's an open barn.. the big metal covered shelters).

They then walk into the swine area and exclaim.. *oh look at all the cute wittle piggly wigglies..* and then turn to another gentleman and demand to know where we keep all the cute lile piglets..

What really got them an education? One of those *cute wittle piggly wigglys* stood up on it's hind legs and snorted at her,, hanging over the pen scaring her so bad she literally fell down.

All of us suddenly had something we urgently had to be doing.. elsewhere.. instead of helping the young ladies..LOL

One of the staff members at the shelter (the person in charge of the kennels) told me that she heard that spaying makes female rabbits mean. Duh, it mellows them out!

This one irks me...but had someone say "Well at least if there was a food shortage you wouldn't starve" I had to walk away to avoid an argument with a family member.

tamnjo wrote:
Can a rabbit and chicken have babies?

Some people just don't think:p:brownbunny

Remember the myth that was running around many many years ago? Someone started it - have no idea who or where; it might have been in NB - and swore that there was a new 'breed' of animal; they said that someone had crossed a cat and a rabbit and were selling 'cabbits'. For quite a long time many people believed this was true...:foreheadsmack:

cabbit.jpg

nermal71 wrote:
This one irks me...but had someone say "Well at least if there was a food shortage you wouldn't starve" I had to walk away to avoid an argument with a family member.

Oh wow! I would of had to walk away too, after giving them a VERY dirty look! :shock:

Emily

This is just plain stupid things people say:

"Is that a dog?" Um.. does it look like a dog to you? :?

Man walks into the SPCA and asks "Which are the meat rabbits?" He wasn't kidding. :grumpy:

"Why you taking it to the vet? You can buy a whole bunch of new ones for less..."

MsBinky, the last line of your post reminded me of something my sister once said to me. When Raph was still alive, but a few months before he went to the Bridge, he was eating his dinner one evening and suddenly he began to choke. He had aspirated some of his food (apparently that was a common occurance with disabled rabbits, and certainly not surprising that it happened to Raph, as the boy loved his food so much!), and at first I wasn't too concerned, thinking his throat would clear and he'd go back to eating. But he kept getting worse, making odd sounds and trying to breathe properly, and he just couldn't. Of course this happened around 10:00 at night on a Sunday, when the only vet available was an emergency clinic way out at the other end of the city. I had no car, and taxi services didn't allow pets. So I called my sister in desperation, knowing she wouldn't be able to take me out there, but in a panic it was the first thing I thought to do. I was in tears as I didn't want to lose Raph, and when I told my sister what was happening she said - in an effort to try and make me feel better - 'If he dies, it just will happen. If he was a rabbit living in the wild he would die from it anyway, so maybe it's better just to let him go. Just let nature take its course'.

Well, of course that didn't help...all it did was make me realize she had no clue as to how close I was to Raph, how special he was to me. She was basically saying, 'He's just a rabbit, and rabbits die'. And she certainly wasn't trying to hurt me with her words; but she just didn't understand...

As you know My daughter is Zins goddaughter and she is full of cute things to say such as

Why cant the rabbits pick up their own poop lol

That was a funny one now for the stupid one

Myfriend asked if my house was gonna smell like a barn 'cause barns smell like hay and rabbits.

One girl refused to enter for fear that the rabbits would attack her

Yes Zin and Stewie are attack rabbits

The funniest thing I heard -actually read in a Greek rabbit forum- was a young rabbit owner insisting that dwarf rabbits are a cross between a "normal" rabbit and ...a rat, "this is why baby dwarf rabbits have a ...long rat tail" (!) I tried and tried to convince him (attaching articles, info and even photos of baby dwarf rabbits having ...a rabbit tail!!!) that it was not so, but... people are people...

Marietta

One of the stupidest things I get is people calling me interested in adopting a rabbit and wanting only a baby and not wanting to adopt a rabbit even 1 year old, because apparently they only live 2-3 years and are usually mean by the time they are 1. So is this meaning you are only going to keep the rabbit until it is one year and then dump it? I can't believe these people have the guts to call me and come up with stuff like this - but it has happened more than once.

When informed that rabbits can live long healthy up to ten year and beyond lives - most people loose interest real fast. Which is actually a good thing - hopefully then they won't hang up from me and run to the nearest pet store, but I know a lot do anyway.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
nermal71 wrote:

Oh wow! I would of had to walk away too, after giving them a VERY dirty look! :shock:

Emily
someone did that to me and I asked if that was why she had so many children and walked away :p

tundrakatiebean wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
nermal71 wrote:

Emily
someone did that to me and I asked if that was why she had so many children and walked away :p
Haha Katie! That's a good one. I would of said the same thing, lol! Did she have a lot of kids with her? lol.

Honestly,there are classics with my animals, but my cat is my favorite...

Visitor:

I think there's something wrong with your cat.

Me:

No, he's ok.

Visitor:

His eyes are closed.

Me:

His eyelids are always closed. He doesn't have eyeballs.

Visitor:

How does he see?

Me:

He's blind.

Visitor:

How does he get around?

Me:

With his legs.

I've had that actual conversation before, to the "T". I can see honest curiosity getting the best of people at times but some people are just fun to mess with, and my sense of humor can be a little "off". ;)

Sorry off topic - but Leaf I get that all the time with my blind dogs and lamb. We bottle raised our lamb and he fought for his life for three months, lost his eyesight at about 1 week old - and many people thought we should have let him die or put him down. He is now a happy one and half year old, can get around just fine, is like a puppy dog, and is just fine. But people still think he shouldn't be alive or able to do anything just because he can't see - how do blind people get around? We don't put them down! Blind animals, just as blind people, can live very normal, happy, and healthy lives.

Back