Umm...kinda scared...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinirabbit

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Rabbiteers :),

My dad is getting a little upset that we have a rabbit in the house. Hewants it outside on our front deck (in its cage still!) I am too scaredthough, as I am afraid of weather hazards and the new location withwinds, rain, etc (He says he wouold buy a hutch though...)

I was really upset, so we kind of comprimised...The rabbit gets hutchfor the balcony for the day, and at night we bring her back into heroriginal cage. I was a bit iffy on this idea, because of the stressfactor of constantly switching homes......

What do you think?

xoxo

Liza

If you have no choice then I would do the changegradually. When would the bun have it's playtime to run and binky?Would you have a run attached to the hutch or just bring it in thehouse a few hours before bed to play? As long as you can bring it induring the winter and really hot days I think it might be ok. We have agreat resource section and there is a thread Naturestee just postedabout summer concerns, I can't remember the name though. You could goin search to look for hutch ideas to keep the bun safe from predatorsand people. Consider a lock on the door.
good luck and keep us posted on what happens. A lot of bun owners keepthem outside I am just not one so hopefully they can give you betterideas.

I keep my three lop rabbits outside and i live in Scotland where the weather can be very wet and windy.
We have a heated shed/summerhouse that i put my buns in during winter as the temperature can get well below freezing.
Now that it's heading into summer and the night are less cold they live outside in their hutches and love it! :bunnydance:
If i start worrying i try and remind myself that rabbits have a thickcoat of fur that will keep them warm in cold. Heat is another matterthough, rabbits can get heatstroke VERY quickly and you should alwayskeep an eye on the temperature getting too high.
I have made our back garden rabbit-escape-proof and each of my rabbitshave the entire garden to run about in all day, you should see theiradorable faces when they know you are going to let them out! Thepicture that is my avatar is one of my bunnies from my breeding doe,isn't she cute?
K xx

Hi, Kez-bunniemomshe's adorable. Do you have more pictures?

Soooska

I bet you are so happy to be able to keep Annabelle inside,im sure she is one happy little bunny:)

cheryl

This is my avatar bunnie, when she was younger.

wlx3d2.jpg

This my little setup inside my shed/summerhouse. Honey is in a biggerhutch with her 5 babies. It's Cadbury on the top floor and Rolo and Bobon the bottom

wlx4at.jpg

This is cadbury! She is a beautiful chocolate dwarf lop.

wlx64l.jpg

This is the runt of the 5, Mocha.

The orange on my hand is henna that my aunt did for me (I'm 1/4 pakistani) It's fading and has gone bright orange!

wlx6rl.jpg

I used to have rabbits outside when I was kid.They were always fine, but it does depend on a few factors. Like is thearea safe from predators (my main issue)? What is the weather likewhere you live? We lived in Northern California growing up so thewinters were mild and summers not too hot. Where we are now the summersare SUPER hot and winters we have snow. I wouldn't want them outside inthose climates. Even with the best of measures taken. Unfortunately wealso have a lot of neighbors who don't see anything wrong with lettingtheir dogs run loose (major pet peeve of mine) and I would worry aboutthem, even in a fenced yard.

So yes I do think they can be perfectly fine living in a hutch outdoors, depending on those factors.

Latest posts

Back