Um My Baby Lops Are Doing Things Little Too Early Concern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacygirl

Reaction score
Um my five baby lops are doing stuff little early than schedule. They are almost three weeks old. The baby are already jumping in and out of the nest box, eating their mom's pellet food, tasting fresh strawberry that I gave for their mom's treat. Um they not suppose to be eating any other foods until they are weaned in 6- 8 weeks. I am a new beginner breeder, this is my second success litter since my first way back then. Should I be concern?

Also since this is my first lop baby rabbits, when will their ears goes down?

I don't know about the ear thing, someone with lop experience will have to answer that for you.

As for the other issues, all normal. Babies should be hopping in and out of the nest box, and sampling everything mommy is eating.

I would watch foods like strawberry carefully, but a little bit should be okay. If you are going to give fresh foods I would stick to leafy greens like parsley, cilantro, and dark green leafy lettuce.

Just watch for any mushy poos after feeding and take the greens away immediately if they cause problems.

--Dawn

i wouldn't worry about them going in an out of the nestbox, as long as when they go out, they can get back in (when i bred, i would tip the nestbox on it's side once the babies started comming out. this was right around 3 weeks).

you will find them munching on pellet food and hay, i would maybe watch on the strawberry part, maybe hand feed them to the mom instead of just leaving them in the cage.

the ears should lop around 5 weeks if i remember correctly, it has been a few years since i bred, so someone with more current lop experiance can tell you a more defined answer

Mine start getting oatmeal and hay after their eyes open (not much oatmeal) and mama's pellets a day or so later.

Mine are all over the nestbox and cage on week 3 - driving mama up the wall.

Other than the strawberry - sound to me like they're doing fine!

Peg

The babies have to be eating solid foods BEFORE they are weaned, so their systems will have time to adjust. Eating mom's pellets at three weeks is normal. I would personally take away the fresh foods like the strawberries, just to be safe, it can give the babies the runs. You could feed them to the mom outside the cage or something like that, to keep them away from the babies.

Latest posts

Back