UK Myxi problems- in vaccinated rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I've just been on the Rabbits United forum, which is a UK forum. There have been a lot of problems with vaccinated rabbits getting myxomatosis. And not just the nodular form that vacc'd bunnies get and usually survive, but also the full-blown deadly myxomatosis. The myxi vaccine was never perfect as there are different strains, but this year is far worse.

Jack's Jane (RexRabbit here) talked to a vet advisor at Intervet, the makers of the myxi vaccine. He recommended treating for fleas, using fly screens/netting, and getting Scalibor dog collars from the vet to hang near hutches but out of reach of rabbits (do not put the collars on rabbits!). Here's info on the collar:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Outside rabbits are at much greater risk, but that doesn't meant that house rabbits don't need precautions too. Myxi travels via mosquitoes, fleas, and other blood sucking insects which can also enter houses.

Thanks for that! I've just been on the forum and reading someone lost all her 9 buns to myxi, not sure if they were vaccinated or not.

At the moment neither of my buns have been vaccinated against myxi or VHD, after what happened to Milly I'm really really scared too. :(

I read that too. I saw her earlier thread where her first few buns had gotten sick. Yes, the were all vaccinated.:(

I know the vac's are really scary for you, but it really is for the best. They way things are, it's much more likely for them to get sick from the disease than to get sick from the vaccine. Just make sure they are healthy when they are done. I would highly recommend getting them vacc'd for myxi soon because of the huge number of cases lately. Even if it doesn't protect them from all strains of the virus, some protection is better than none and it gives them a fighting chance if they do happen to get sick.

Even though I'm nervous about all these jabsI'm going to have to get them both vaccinated. I know both my buns are at risk but poor Harvey is more so since he is outside!

They are saying the myxi jab is only on average 20% effective, thats not good news.

Crossing my fingers for our UK members!

This is really scary...

ellissian wrote:
They are saying the myxi jab is only on average 20% effective, thats not good news.

It doesn't look good, :(however it's still worth getting it done as vaccinated rabbits have a much higher chance of survival.:)

I've been reading about this over on RU too, it's very scary...:?

One of the breeders on rabbit talk lost 3 just over a month ago to myxi too. I have to say there are a LOT of flys about at the mo

The recent adverse weather conditions in the UK ( heavy rainfall and flooding) has meant that there is a lot of standing water. This, in turn, has lead to a Mosquito population explosion. Mozzis are vectors for Myxomatosis.

At the moment the only vaccine available in the UK is the NOBIVAC manufactured by Intervet. It is derived from the Shorpe Fibroma Virus which can give cross immunity to some strains of the Myxo Virus.

Aswell as 6 monthly vaccination it is important to control the vectors of the Myxo virus (biting insects) So monthly flea treatment is needed aswell as mozzi netting over hutches and runs.

It makes my blood boil to think that the Myxomatosis Virus was origionally deliberately released as a means of 'pest control' :grumpy:

Janex

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I had a read on the other forum and there has been an outbreak in Lichfield, Staffordshire which is extremely close to where I live. Lacey is due for her 6 month myxi now so she is getting done at the next available appointment.

Back