Uh-oh...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
Just over a month ago I rescued two more bunnies. They were in such a state that I was in tears in the shop...

One was a beautiful orange Dutch buck, long-haired, beautiful face butwith a coat full of matts and blind in one eye - it looked, at thetime, like he had a red blister or something on it.

The other was a broken black doe who I swear could have been Baby'smum, they looked so similar. Only this bunny was completely broken. Oneof her hind legs just flopped - not from the hock downwards, but thewhole thing, from the hip and everything, it just hung and would foldunderneath her as she moved. One ear was so full of canker that itwouldn't stand up straight and it gave her head tilt. Her front paw, onthe same side as the busted leg, was all knuckled up, with the footjoint double the side it should have been. Her back and side werecovered in scabs, her was was a complete mess - obviously she couldn'tgroom herself because she couldn't balance at all. Thinking about hernow makes me upset.

So they came home with me. I took the little girl to the vet the nextday, and, not surprisingly, she was put to sleep; there wasn't muchthey could do for her. I know at least she had one night out of thedingy, crap-filled cage that they were both in.

The little boy, on the other hand, is doing great. He's a little timid,but otherwise a real sweetie - he's got such a kind face and seemswilling to be petted, even if he's a little shy about it. He's gettingthere, anyway. He's been living in the cage in my girls' room until hegets the snip.

But guess what? (And I'll bet you can guess what happened). I went inthis morning to feed the girls, and he had escaped. He'd managed toknock on side of the cage door open, and had squeezed through the gapthat was there. He'd been in with my four unspayed girls all night>.< Now you know why the title of this post is uh-oh. Ofcourse right now he's back in the cage and I've made double-sure thathe won't be able to escape again.

For you breeders out there; what's my chances of having baby rabbits onmy hands? I really don't want them - there's no homes out there for thebunnies that are already on the island, never mind bringing more intothe world (cute as they'd be). My biggest problem right now is that Ireally can't afford to pay for four spays all together... actually, inall honesty I can't afford to pay for even one spay right now. (Thereare no vet colleges or shelters who can help with the cost over here).

Any advice?

Yikes. It would be great if they made a "morning after" pill for rabbits.

Maybe one of the breeders can help. The only thing I can think of is emergency spays at this point.

Good luck, Hollie.

How old are all of your girls? If some areyounger them maybe they won't be pregnant, but I'm sorry to say, itlooks like you could have 4 litters of kits on your hands.:? Rabbitsdon't go into heat, instead an egg is released when they mate which iswhy it's so easy for them to get pregnant. I'm sorry.:(

They're more than old enough to mate - the youngest one I've had with me for months.

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to go vet shopping... I hope they'll do a discount for multiple spays!!

Actually one night i would say most are notpregnant.maybe none.i had8 does bred, in with the buck for aweek only 2 pregnancys.none survived.theres not much chance they areall bred.good luck whatever you decide.bluebird

Bluebird, what you said made me much happier!Still though, I don't know if I can chance it or not... I'm going tocall the vets today to see about getting a discount!

Back