Uh oh - Naughty Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KieraKittie

Reaction score
I have started to collect NIC grids to build a bunny cage, I received about 23 or so from a man who responded to one of my posts online a few days back. I took some Zip ties and put together a 3 grid long by 2 grid wide, two grids high. temp cage just to get the new arrival Ozzy, out of the small pet taxi he was placed in.

Just received my second box in the mail to finish the cage but have to wait for payday to get the rest of the supplies.

Anyway.. The half finished cage was put together with nothing inside but a small box, some newspaper, and a litter pan, with hay and such. The small box is in the corner of the cage that is in the back against a wall on both sides.

This structure was working fine, I watched them closely for the last few days all seemed well, it did not have a roof on it as of yet but with no levels or anything secured for the buns to jump on to jump out It seemed safe.

I woke up this morning and somehow, Ozzy, found a way to escape and has been out in the room running free with Little Dandy un-supervised... Dandy is around 13 or 14 weeks now, now I am worried about her getting knocked up.

Till this time, I have done, what I thought was very well at keeping them separate till I can get Ozzy fixed. Which was going to happen with the last paycheck of the month. One stays in the cage, while the other plays, then I switch them out. Cant figure out how he managed to get out, the door is still latched tight, the box is far to far from the sides away from the wall and not very sturdy to boot.. Its not so much that I don't want mixed baby buns, its Dandy is barely at the age and I'm scared of losing her.

Any advice, or what to look for..

Note this day on your calendar, and in 30 days you should know if anything really happened.

So sorry to hear. Sounds like you were being so careful, but bunnies have other ideas.

Just observe her. If she does start to pull fur, it still could be a false pregnancy.

Please keep us posted.

K:)

Atticus did this to me. We had the same NIC set up as you. The little b@stard (lol) CLIMBED it. I watched him do it on a separate occasion. Now we have his son Matthias.

As Samara said, bunnies can climb NIC panels if they want to! My little Tallulah would climb them to get to food. I'd imagine a horny boy bunny would happily climb the panels to get to a girl bunny. I hope little Dandy isn't pregnant! She's on the young side but I think it's possible.

Ted, Stewart, and Mr. would climb up and over anything, even 48 inch high panels. Had to put something on top to keep them penned. Peter, Bambi, and Finn jumped over a 30 inch barricade. The all time champ was Nik-Nik, there was nothing she couldn't get up on--she was my little mountain goat.

my big worry is I read a lot about Hollands, and dwarf types having issues while giving birth is very common, and if they breed to young there is a good chance the momma might pass away when trying. SO that's the main reason I am pretty worried.

Was trying to wait till payday on the 8th to finish the cage fully but seems this is something I need to do asap, fiancee is loaning me the money to get the rest of the supplies tomorrow. Gas bill will just be a week late.. *grins*

Well hopefully he missed. I know with cats and dogs theres abortion spays.

And could ypu put a blanket ovrr top with board or something on top? Not as pretty but temp it works

After Ozzy's last escape from his cage I decided it was time to get the rest of the material and finish the cage him and Dandy will share. We are keeping the same rules with One bun in, One bun out. With the new cage I dont think they understand they are being locked up, they both seem to love it.

P6040151.jpg

Here Ozzy is in for the night, the first one to check out the new Bunny house. He loved it so much he was running up and down the levels and doing mini kicks.

P6040155.jpg

(( The whole cage cost under $60 when I was done, I posted an add on Craigslist and a local classified page for NiC grids with a picture to show what they were. The wood at Lowes was $21, the peel and stick tile was $.30 cents each and I only needed 24 (though I don't care for the tile, I'm going to put Coroplast over it.) The small 2"x1"x8' rods where $.98 cents each so I got two. Lowes cut the wood to the measurements for free. The zip ties, I went through at least 300, wal-mart sold them the cheapest. The clips I'm using to lock the door and lid I already had hehe. ))

Still keeping a close eye on Dandy, they give each other kisses through the cage but Dandy doesn't seem to let him get to close anymore. Cant wait till he if fixed and I can just let them romp together.

Back