uh oh. 2 problems, need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender32

Reaction score
As some of you know already, my newest rabbit isonly a month or 2 old, so the hutch we have set up for him can't reallybe used. His feet might protrude through the wire, causing injury. Wehave a decent sized aquarium for him, complete with litter box. Itsjust that he is almost big enough to get out it is starting to worryme. what should i do?

My other problem is, we have one of the water feeders with the springinside the tube, and sometimes i think he isn't getting any water. So itook out the water bottle, and loosened the cap just a little bit, andnow it seems to work alright. could that have been the cause?

Keeping a rabbit in an aquarium is not a goodidea. Those things let very little air in and out. I wouldeither build him an NIC cage or tempoary pen (have you seen some of theNIC cages..they are so cheap and easy to build!). Or, put him in thehutch but put some flooring down so he doesnt harm himself.You could put some wood or cardboard or something sturdy for now untilhe grows.

About the bottle, just be sure he is getting some now. It could be thatit was stuck or something. You might want to put a bowl withsome water in it if you're not 100% sure he's getting water.

Hope this helps!

Haley

The aquarium is not what you think, I don't have a lid on it, so it's basically a box made of glass with no top.

I will try to figure out a way to get some padding in the large hutch.

I tried putting a bowl in with him, and the first thing he did was
put his feet in it. :? I don't think he understands, lol.

haha..yeah, some buns just want to spillthose bowls:)

Just put your finger to the bottle and be sure it comes out when you tap it, if it does, you should be fine.

If you're afraid Dusty will jump out of the enclosure, you could putsomething over it (but make sure its something breathable) like nettingor something.

And just in case you're interested, heres a link for the NIC cages someof our members have made. I know I was shocked that I was able to makean awesome cage for 30-40 bucks!http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=1

Good Luck!

Oh my, those are neat! I will most likely getsome of those! problem is getting a proper flooring for "accidents".There is really no place to put an open cage in our house, its allcarpet. I'll figure something out.

thanks Haley, you're a big help!

I know what you mean. I live in a new condo and its all light colored carpet, which shows accidents very well.

For the floor, I used coroplast (it can be found at stores whosell/make big poster signs). Other people have bought a big sheet ofplywood and covered it with those cheap stick-on tiles that they sellat Home Depot.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I wish I had known aboutmaking these sooner (I spent 70 bucks each on two cages that are abouta quater of the size and now Im stuck with them !).

Good Luck!

NIC cages are a great idea. I made myfirst one for about $60 and it was huge. You can also use bigdog crates. If you look around you can find cheap used ones,just make sure you clean it with bleach and rinse it really well.

The problem with an aquarium is that they're always so small and evenwith no top on there's not nearly enough air movement. Theyget stuffy and heat up quickly.

Latest posts

Back