Types of Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoriamarina

Reaction score
Winston is about 2 months old and i feed him timothy and alfalfa hay but recently i just bought Oat hay too and I've just been feeding him a variety of these three.

He doesn't like timothy as much as the other two types, i'm wondering what is your experience and what is the best option? I know while he is young alfalfa is fine for him :)

bunnies always seem to love alfalfa... mine are just about to hit the six month mark and I've gotta face the brutal task of weaning them over to only eating grass hays. they're gonna hate me for a bit, heh.

oat is probably their second favorite (btw, be sure to pick out any clusters of oats that may be in it - the extra carbs are no good for bunnies) and they ate some timothy right at 2 mos but won't even touch it these days. sometimes they nibble on this meadow mix hay. orchard grass hasn't gone over well. they're picky little bunny buttheads.

I mix together orchard grass, botanical hay and timothy. My bun didn't used to be overly excited about timothy, until I mixed them together.

You could try coastal or blue grass, I'm sure there are others. I'm just blanking right now on different kinds.

Any grass hay is good for adults. I have always fed timothy to all my rabbits without much problems. Beauty is my picky girl and would not eat any hay for over a month. I bought 4 different kinds of hay with no luck. I ended up changing the way I fed it to her and that worked. My rabbits now get primarily timothy with a section of young oat hay about 1x per week (the oat comes from BinkyBunny in their mini bales).

Rabbits have very definite likes and dislikes.

Throughout his entire life Scone would not touch timothy hay. He would eat pretty much any other sort, and loved orchard grass and meadow mix. If I gave him oat hay he played with it and at the immature seed heads, but left the rest.

Natasha loves timothy and eats all the oat hay, but she can take or leave orchard grass. Go figure.

They all have different taste and texture preferences. Some like crunchy, nutty oat while others like soft, sweet meadow. Mine get a mix of Timothy, Orchard, Oat, and Meadow. I've found that feeding alfalfa at any stage of life causes picky eating and sometimes refusal of healthy grass hays. Cher is my little booger; he eats tons of Meadow and only takes little nibbles of the rest. Grr... That bunbun will have to learn:p

I offer a mixture of timothy, orchard, oat and meadow grass hays. I actually just ordered the smallest size bag of alfalfa from oxbow to keep on hand as an occasional treat.

Hmmm Phoenix doesn't seem to be too keen on any hay really.... She will eat some the first few days I put it in the she doesn't like it so I have to switch... Hmmm I haven' t tried oat hay though :?

Faith ate Timothy fine until we introduced alfalfa. Now, even though I mix it, she just eats the alfalfa and shoves the Timothy out the cage. Bunnybutt. I'm not looking forward to weaning her.

Latest posts

Back