Two un-neutered males live together?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyFofo

Reaction score
I was wondering, if two not neutered bucks couldlive together/bond from about 10 wks of age till 3 1/2 months (whenthey will both be neutered), if they are not from the same litter? Isthis a bad idea?

How about a 4-6 month old male neutered, w/ a 10 wk old unneutered male?

Thank you,

lis and Fufu

I managed to do it with no problems :) but theydid start to bicker at 4 months-ish so they were both desexed (earliestvets will do it here is 4 months).

You could always give it a try, but you have tobe prepared for the worst. Some males will get along finewhen they're babies, but start to fight as they mature. I dont thinktheres a definite answer here, it just depends of the personality ofeach bun, and how aggressive he is.

If you do attempt to house two males together, make sure you go throughall the necessary bonding steps. Introduce them in a neutral area andsee what happens. Again, be prepared for fighting. Also, just becausethey are getting along as babies doesnt mean they wont fight whenthey're a few months old.

Heres some good info on bonding:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Just make sure you keep an eye on them...fighting can be fatal!

-Haley

I housed 2 males together from about 3 months to 10 months old and they were fine. They were neutered at 5 months old.

Just be warned that it may not work out, even when they are neutered.As I said, my boys were fine with one another until 10 months old whenone day out of the blue they started fighting to kill. I have beenunable to put them together since and they are now 3.5 years old.

And being from the same litter or not has absolutely no effect on howwell they will get along, it comes down to the individual personalitieswhich can drastically change with age.

How about a spayed female with the baby? If heis neutered at 31/2 - 5 months,could they still notget along? I want to rescue another bun to have for company for mine,but want the other one to be same sex or "fixed". I am trying to findout which combo will work the best! Thank you all for your replies, andpls let me know what you think about the spayed female idea?

Thank you,

Liz

It's easiest to bond a female/male pair butagain, it's not a guarentee. They may be fine but once the baby growsup and challenges for dominance, you may have to split them up althoughthey may be bondable later in life. Some pairs just don't get along.

For instance, I have 2 males and one female. For one male and thefemale, it was a match made in heaven. For the other male and thefemale, well lets just say I can't put them within reach or they try tokill each other (both are fixed).

To be honest, if you need100% bonded and no problems, waituntil yours is 11 months old and try to find some rescue that will bondhim for you. That way you only bring home a rabbit that he likes andyou don't have to worry about the teen years being a problem. Reallythat is the only way to guarentee that you can house themtogether for life. You always run the risk of having to house themseparately otherwise.

I've had my doe since she was 4 months old and I held off bonding herto my male until she was 11 months old! Even though their bonding wasunusally easy.

Honestly, I think your best chance of finding afriend for your bun (which, I gather is the 10 month old non-neuteredmale) would be to wait until after he is neutered.

I would wait at least a month or so after he is neutered and then lethim choose his mate. A lot of shelters will allow you to bring your bunin to meet other rabbits. This will save you a lot of time and effortif he is able to choose someone himself.

Thats just my opinion :)

Haley wrote:
Iwould wait at least a month or so after he is neutered and then let himchoose his mate.
That as well. But some rabbits may need more time then 4 weeks. And ifyou get an unspayed doe, you have to wait 6 because he can stillimpregnate her.

But either way, wait to get him a pal and make sure you get him an adult friend!

Yhank you everyone, I will hold off till he isolder. I just wanted some general info and some ideas that would pointme in the right direction. I want to make sure that my bunny has afriend that he can grow old with and getalong with!

Thank you!

My passed rabbit Smelly had a brother namedLancelot. They got along fine for months... howevereventuallySmelly started constantly trying to rape hisbrother.

Latest posts

Back