Two questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbi

Reaction score
I only have a few questions! Hopefully they won't take up too much of your time. :p

Firstly.. Afew weeksago, we brought ourrabbits inside because it was getting cold. We have tworabbits between my mother and I. A female andmale.. Neither of them have been spayed (unfortunatly), andthen one day while I was asleep, they both somehow escaped outof their cages.. Don't ask me how, but yeah.. Wedon't out them together for that reason.. We were planning ongetting one of them spayed, but we've bth been busy with things thesepast few months. I don't know how long they were outtogether, but my mum discovered them running around.. I wasjust wondering if it was possible for Flopsy (female) to becomepregnant after just one meeting? I'd love kits, but seriouslycouldn't afford to keep them, and so would have to give them away whenthey were ready, which would break my heart..

Secondly, one of my sisters rabbits eyes are watering, and a few weeksago, sneezing. The vets said it was probably hay fever, andso she stopped giving her hay, but even without, it's on going..

(Note: never buy animals from Pets At Home!)

Toodles. :)

-Abbi

I don't know about the eye watering thing, but ifboth rabbits are sexually mature there's definaltly a chance ofpregnacy. There are people here that can tell you how to check, butyou'll still have to wait a while.

~Christine~

Thing is, if she is pregnant, she'll be havingkits around Christmas day, which would be so cute! But as Isaid, if she is, it means that I would have to give them away (Icouldn't sell them), and it would totally break my heart.. :/

Edit: And as far as I know, you can only check about 14 daysafter? I read that somewhere... I don't exactlyremember how though!

It's easiest to tell at 14 days gestation.

Do you have the exact date that they were out together?... Mark 28days from that day and put a Nesting box in with her, if she ispreggers she could kindle anywhere between 28-34/35 days (I've had adoewait 'tilday 35).

The way I Palpate to determine pregancy-
1) Place the rabbit on a flat surface facing toward you.

2) With your left hand, hold the rabbit firmly (I hold the ears and scruff of the shoulders in a firm, but gentle fist)

3) With your right hand, reach up under her belly from the side.Make a "cup" with your fingers upwards (thumb on one side of rabbit, 4fingers on the other side of rabbit, belly resting in the middle, palmof your hand).

4) With your fingers and thumb, gently, but Firmly squeeze her bellyfrom just above the genitals right on up to just under her rib cage.Don't be afraid to really dig in there, sometimes it's really hard tofeel them in there. You will be feeling for any large round "balls".

Easiest description of the feel of fetus in the womb is a grape.Feels firm, but slightly squishy... and depending on how far along sheis, it could even be that size (about 11-13 day gestation). Somerabbits will tense up and try to get away at first, but be patient andpersistant... One way or another, you need to find out if there'sanything in there. Full term fetus's are larger and you will be able todefinately feel a head... Think of a Large Jawbreaker.

If you're unable to determine whether or not she's pregnant - better safe than sorry - Still put a nestbox in with her.

~Sunshine

Abbi wrote:
...Secondly, one of my sisters rabbits eyes are watering,and a few weeks ago, sneezing. The vets said it was probablyhay fever, and so she stopped giving her hay, but even without, it's ongoing..

(Note: never buy animals from Pets At Home!)

Toodles. :)

-Abbi
Link to the following site for information regarding possiblecauses for the symtoms you describe:http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Buck

Welcome Aboard, Abbi,

Please read the post entitled, "Lesson(s) I've Learn while Trying to Take Care of a Sick Bunny" by BunnyMommy.

Sniffles could be allergies, but it could also be a respiratory diseasethat's only treatable with medication. If the eyes are runny andthere's discharge from the nose, and their front paws are wet, it's avirus that is very contagious to the rest of the rabbits.

SunnieBunnie and others can help you through the breeding.

I'd be sure to pay special interest in the one that's sneezing. The site Buck Jones referenced, you'll find very interesting.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Back