Two males fighting - help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber01

Reaction score
So I have 2 male rabbits (one lionhead and one mixed lop) who have been together since they were babies. They are now roughly 7 months old. They were in the pet shop together and have been housed together in an outside hutch since we bought them home.

They have always been fine with each other - cuddling up and grooming each other. But 2 nights ago, I heard an awful noise coming from their hutch and squeaking. I had a look outside with a torch as I thought maybe a fox had gotten into the garden but couldn't see anything.

Yesterday morning I come down to give them more hay and they've been fighting! The lionhead's fur is everywhere in clumps and the poor lop has had chunks taken out of his ears! I'm so heartbroken :(
I immediately cleaned them up, put salt water on their wounds and made up the indoor cage which I can separate into 2 separate cages. They've been separated all night.

Neither are neutered - could this be the problem? Any advice at all on next steps is appreciated. I'm keeping a close eye on their wounds and keeping their cages spotless to stop any infection.

Hi!
Unfortunately this is what was meant to happen when you keep two unfixed males together, I would expect fight at 4 months of age or even earlier, you are just lucky you noticed and separated them immediately, they could've killed each other.

The fact they were together since birth doesn't mean anything it was just baby bond, even brothers will fight when they become sexually mature, this is natural they fight for dominance. You did good that you separated them now you have a few options.

First would be to neuter both and keep them separately for about 2 months after their surgery when they calm down and forget each other, then you can try introducing them as completely new rabbits. You have to keep them far from each other all this time so they can't see or smell each other, ideally in separate rooms, and when starting bonding sessions you have to find completely neutral for both territory so nothing smells like home for both. Bonding can be a very difficult process and you will need much patience, and unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will work, so you might have to keep them separately all the time if bonding unsuccessful.

Another option is to find a new good home for the one of them and keep one unneutered or you can neuter him and after 2 months after his surgery if you want him to have a company you can try finding him a pair, best choice would be a spayed female from the rescue, they usually have a few to choose from and you can also attend a few dates to see which one would suit him as they can even bond naturally or you will still need some more sessions at home before you can keep them together.

In my opinion the second option would be easier and cheaper, the minuses would be it's not easy to let go a rabbit you had for 7 months and also you would need to be careful when choosing a new home for him there are many people unfortunately who are taking free rabbits and not taking care of them or using them for bad things such for a dog baits or else, you don't want this for your rabbit. If you can find him a good and safe home there is nothing wrong with rehoming him I think.

You can't keep them together anymore unfortunately, unless they are both neutered and re-bonded after at least 2 months after surgery, and bonding could take a few months as well. Or can be quick, you never know.

Latest posts

Back