Two little boys...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
I was out having a wander around one of our local markets ('souq', to be precise), and thought I'd have a peek in some of the bird shops to see what they had. I went into one, and there was a rabbit and a guinea pig in a little bird cage, with one mangy cabbage leaf to eat and no water. They were both covered in their own urine and stank to high heaven. Now, situations like this aren't exactly rare over here, and so I've managed to steel myself against rescuing every single mistreated animal. So I walked out, checked out a few more shops, and couldn't help thinking about them. "What's one more?" I kept thinking to myself, and I knew I just couldn't leave them.

So back I went and bought to two little ones. Into a cardboard box they went, and they're now back at my house. I initially thought that the bunny was a girl, but admittedly I didn't get a good look at 'her' - it turns out that she's definitely a boy :p The guinea pig's a little boy, too. The pair seem to be bonded as the guinea pig was happily grooming the bunny in the box before I lifted them out.

I had to give them both a bit of a wash to get some of the yuck off them - the piggie was incredibly good and sat there without a fuss, while the bunny didn't want to be in the sink, so I had to wash him in the shower instead. Still, he seemed to appreciate it afterwards, and seemed to like being snuggled up in a towel!

Right now they're both in my second bathroom with a towel spread across the floor so that they've got somewhere to walk without sliding on the tiles. Their cardboard box and my carry box are in there for them, and they seem quite happy. I gave them both a piece of tomato each and some parsley, and the little guinea pig tucked right in! Poor mite looked hungry as anything, and neither of them are exactly heavy, you can feel all of their bones.

So, I have these two new additions, and I'm not sure what to do with them. If the bunny had been a girl I would have loved to keep him, but as he's not, that means he'll have to be neutered before I do anything. And then there's the guinea pig; I've read about people saying that rabbits and pigs shouldn't live together as the bunnies can get boistrous with them - and one in a cage of four rabbits wouldn't really stand a chance, now, would he? I'm thinking of perhaps putting up a poster tomorrow to ask if anyone would like to home them - the only problem is that it's the summer and lots of the expats around here will have left on holiday already. I really wouldn't want to give them to a local.

The bunny's very good-looking...
bun1.jpg

He has big brown spots all over his bum, too, though the rest of him (apart from his face) is white.

Here's him with the piggie, just after I'd got them home;
bunpig1.jpg

Awww that's a touching story! You're such a nice person for doing that! Your bunny is so cute!!! :)I hope that if you do not keep the little piggie that he finds a new loving home and that you have created a lovely new beginning to the next chapter in his life :D

Thank you! I know bunny's right eye looks a little sore... he's actually got a small scab just above it, which I forgot to mention earlier... I also forgot to mention that he has the most beautiful blue-grey eyes!

I honestly think that if I seperated them they'd miss each other, as they seem to enjoy being together, so hopefully I'll be able to get them a home together! If not, then maybe he'll go live with another piggie family and the bunny boy can get fixed and live with my girls... he really is a handsome boy :)

LOL...I read this post and just wanted to reach out and give you the BIGGEST hug for doing what you did! What a gorgeous little rabbit he is...and the guinea pig too (from what I can see of him). I know how you feel about wanting to rescue them all - I suspect that most of us here are like that too - and we simply cannot. But you have made such a difference already in these two boys' lives...what a beautiful soul you are! Big big bunny hugs to you, and to those two boys!
:hug:

Aww...what cuties!! I'd have quite the time of trying to figure out what to do, too. From what you say, they might be happier together. I wish I could say for sure, though.

Anyway, what a sweet thing you did for the two of them. The bunny looks so happy and thankful...and I'm sure if I could see the piggy better, I would see the same thing. What sweeties!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance: Maisie and Flower do a Happy Bunny Dance for your new friends and for the love you had in rescuing them. (Flower especially, since she was a rescue as well!) :)

Thanks guys :D

The bunny seems healthy enough, apart from the little scab over his eye and very smelly poo! He's lovely and fluffy now that he's been cleaned up.

The little guinea pig needs his back claws clipping, which I might do a bit later, and he seems to be very friendly. He also seems half starved to death, as he wouldn't stop eating!

I'm scared of getting too attached because I don't know yet if I'm going to keep them or not... I'm going to put up a couple of posters in supermarkets today for the next week or so to see if I can get anyone's attention, and if that doesn't work then I might see how they get on with my girls. They're both very cute, and if I kept them, maybe I could get a guinea pig friend for the little piggy... :p

Hollie, that's SO sweet of you! It brings a tear to my eye! I have SO much respect for people who can't pass by a bunny (orpiggie!) in distress without doing something to help.

:great:

It does pay off. Everytime I look at thelittlebunnies I rescued froma sad life,and I see the joy and comfort in theirfaces, my heart just swells.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/snews/HappyDill.jpg

sas and the (thankful) gang of fur:bouquet:

Oh bless Pipp, that picture's so adorable :D

I'll try to find a home for these boys this week, and if they can't get one, then it'll be off to the vets and *snip* for the bunny boy, so that he can go in with my girls. I'll try again after that, in September, when more people are back here. Hopefully someone will want to give them a loving home! I'm scared my girls might bully the guinea pig.

Bless you for rescuing these babies - you have made such a difference to their lives. I hope the bird-seller in question doesn't stock up on anymore bunnies now for his shop.

Bunnies and guineas can be bonded together and not attack one another so if you wanted to keep the little guy you could persevere with the bunny bonding process for the bunnies and guinea and see how you get on. It would be a shame to split the boy bunny and his guinea friend up as they have been through so much together.

I bet your girl bunnies will love having such a handsome boy around when he gets his neuter done.

Please let us know how it goes.

Back