Two Different Shades of Blue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyFarmBunnies

Reaction score
14734_211306_210000002.jpg

Hi all,

This is the first litter from a pairing I did from a new doe, a black tort and a blue. The black tort did not have any blue in her original pedigree, so I know something is obviously wrong there. I am in the process of contacting her original breeder to see what I can find, but in the meantime, it's obvious that we have two blues and one black in the litter. Except, it seems like the two blues are two different shades of blue? Even as newborn kits they looked to be a shade off from each other. Your thoughts?
The two in question are in the back right corner.

14734_211306_210000001.jpg

14734_211306_200000000.jpg

Here they are as kits:

14734_281037_440000000.jpg

Each of the rabbits could have been carrying dilute without it showing up anywhere in the pedigree - remember that the pedigree is only shows a limited snapshot of ancestors - no litter mates, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.

Are there any shadeds or chins in the background. Self blue chin or blue seal will be a different shade than normal blue. Blue may also show variations in shade.

Well the buck was a blue, so he is a solid dilute. I know he has opal and lynx in his background, but since he's a solid dilute that wouldn't matter right? I will check the black tort's pedigree for shadeds, because I know there are no chins.

It could be possible that chin or shaded were carried recessively and don't show up in the pedigree. The "C" series is a separate set of genes from the dilute "dd", so there can be a lot of variations of "blue".

Sorry it took me so long to update this post, Pam! Would still appreciate your advice if you were willing.

The tort doe, mother of this litter, is out of a tort (doesn't say what kind, so I suppose it could be blue...) and a black. Then next generation up, reading top to bottom from the pedigree, she has tort (again, no indicator), steel, black tort and black.

The two torts without indicators are from Gene Styles, and I highly doubt he would breed a blue tort since they aren't showable. Steel confuses me though. Could that be my confusing factor?

The torts were most likely black torts, although blue torts passed and are showable as of Feb. 1, 2012.

Steel wouldn't influence variation of the blue color.

Back