Two bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud_the_bunny

Reaction score
So I'm new to owning a bunny. I've only had mine for a week so far. I'm already in love with her and would do anything for her. I was wondering about getting a second bunny. Since I'm still learning how to care for the one I have would it be a bad idea to get a second right now? I got cloud as an older bunny, not sure of age, but I was wanting to get a baby bunny. Plus I feel like she needs a friend when I'm at work.

I asked for similar advice and it seems that two buns need to be bonded and this can be quite hard to do. I have decided to stick with having one whilst I get used to having her and also allow her to establish herself. X

I'd only had Felix for 3-4 weeks before I made the decision to get a second bunny. She came into our house just after his neuter, so after his hormones had worn off, they 'bonded' together very easily. I still need to have her spayed and re-establish their bond after that, but I hope it'll go well.

There are a few things to consider when getting a second bunny -
  • Are you prepared for twice the cost (food, vet bills, etc.)?
  • Are you willing to spend time bonding them together?
  • If they won't play nice and you can't bond them, are you willing to house two rabbits completely independent from each other?

I'm very happy that I chose to get a second bunny, however it's worth mentioning that they're not too far in age or size (Clementine is a 4 month old mini lop, Felix is a 7 month old Netherland dwarf) which might be a factor of them getting along so well. :)

Good luck!!

Honestly, if this is your first bunny I would recommend waiting on the second rabbit until you are more familiar with the needs of a rabbit. It's very cute when you see pictures of bunnies loving one another, but it takes a lot of work and dedication.

Let me give you an example of something I went through. I accidentally stepped on Bino when I was getting out of bed (http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/accidentally-stepped-rabbit-still-feeling-guilty-78226/). After everything, I spent almost $600. Almost a month later, Lulu started showing symptoms of head tilt and I had to spend almost another $300 to treat that (http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/possible-head-tilt-advice-needed-78730/). 2 sick rabbits at the same time. A lot of sleepless nights and frantic calls to the vet and I was at my wits end.

This may never happen to you, but you need to be prepared for the unexpected. So now take that risk and double it? Double the expenses, double everything really. And bunny relationships are just like people. They can hate on sight. become inseparable, mild toleration.. just like we do with the people we meet. I can honestly say I don't like everyone I meet. Same concept with bunny relationships.

Hope this helps.

Thank you I appreciate everything you've said and I'll keep all that in mind. I know it could be expensive, and I have decided to wait a while. I've had a long talk with my fiancée about it and he said I could get another one but we both agreed now is not the time and we are going to wait a while. As of right now I can't own a second one due to the homeowner, so I will have to wait anyway until we atleast move.

Latest posts

Back