Two baby male rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlie

Reaction score
Do baby rabbits bond easier than older ones? I just wondered because I'm afraid my bunny might get lonely when he gets older. Could this work?: I have a 7 wk old male named Dandie. In a few weeks (he'll be about 10 wks old) I want to get him a friend, and I want it to be a male. The new bun would probably be a few weeks younger than Dandie. Would there be any bonding issues or will they just except each other since they are so young? Would there be fighting issues if they are 10 wks old at the most? Wouldn't it kind of be like if they were brothers and grew up together since it would start at such a young age? Male rabbits who are related can live together peacefully, is this correct? I'm just thinking about possiblygetting Dandie a companion, and getting a girl is out, since it cost so much more to get them altered. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If you plan on trying to bond two unaltered boys, even though they are young, I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't matter really if they are introduced when they are young. As soon as the boys hit puberty, the past relationship goes down the drain and most likely they will start fighting. It's really hard to bond two unalteredboys. Hormones usually come between the bonds.

I wouldn't suggest it until you get your boy neutered, even then some rabbits just like to live by themselves.

:D

It's a lot easier to bond babies but there is no guarentee they will evenas babies. There is also about a 7/10 chance they will fight if they are neutered or a 9/10 chance they will fight if not neutered. I would say 1/10 times you can bond unneutered males sucessfully and 4/10 times you can sucessfully bond neutered males. Either way, there is no guarentee and the chances of fighting are much higher than any other pairing.

I had a pair of males bonded at about 3 months of age and fixed around 5 months of age. They got along GREAT until they were 9 or 10 months old and all the sudden fighting broke out one day out of the blue. I have never been able to put them together since.

If you are going to get a male, I highly suggest being prepared to separate them, neuter them, and care for them completely separate. If you're not prepared for that I highly discourage you from getting another rabbit, especially a male. You'd be better off looking for an older spayed female but even then, fighting could occur.

Latest posts

Back