Twinky

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitluvr04

Reaction score
My bunny Twinky is getting fixed in TWO months...I called the vet and they said he has to be 5 months (he is threemonths right now) Do they recover OK...can they die? I'm scared...Iknow its whats best but...will he be ok.HELP

my bunny was already fixed when i got her, sothats why she was so much (100.00) but she is fine right now, veryhyper and alot of energy. so that makes me believe she was great afterthe surgery, because my petco will like freeze animals alive if theyare sick, or if they get alot of them. and if they are sick they putthem in the back, so that they will die.. which is very sad! even theLeopard Geckos that loose their tails, they put them in the back. butyeah your bunny will be fine!

i gotmy boy neutered ataround 3.5 - 4 months. he was a little tired when he camehome, but even by the end of the first day he was playing a bit andfeeling well :) by the second day you'd never know he hadanything done!

a neuter is pretty simple and i dont think i've heard of anyone on thisboard having problems with it at all. your bun will be ok :)

Cinn, if something like that is truly happening,i do hope you've contacted the authorities. most likelythough, the sick animals are in the back so they dont infect any otheranimals.

i dunno if it really is happening, i've heard itlike twice already.. when i go back there to get more mealworms, imgonna ask them what kind of animals they have in the back. and if itstrue then i'ma call! but i heard that from a friend whos Aunt used towork there but quite because of that... im hopeing that its not true!but its aweful!

You want to make sure that the bun is fullydeveloped, ie that the testicles, both of them have dropped.That is one of the reasons taht vets like to wait until 5-6months. Also very young buns have a higher riskthanks to the sleeping agents they use.

Gir was 6 months when he was neutered, and when he came home he was sore, but took cheerios from my hand and nibbled.

Neuters are usually easier on males then females since it isnt such an invasive surgery with the males.

Talk to your vet and ask for information on things like: how many buns does he/she see for regular care.

how many buns have they lost doing the operation.

how many spays/neuters they do in a month.

Things like that. also a warning sign that a vet might notknow as much as they claim about rabbits is if they tell you that yourbun shouldnt eat or drink 24 hours before the surgery. Thatis not advice to follow, buns need food in their digestive trackspractically all the time ( correct me if I am wrong on that) or it canshut down.

But in most cases, the surgery goes very well =)

you are exactly right! The bunnies shouldn't be taken off any food or water prior to surgery.

Also, ask the vet if they will give him something to encourage eating after the surgery.

Bo was fine. He was a bit groggy, but he was more than readyfor mommy to come get him and bring him home. Our vet let himcome home the same day and even early.... he knew Bo would be happierwith me and at home. As long as they come out of theanesthesia ok, and I think poo, they can go home. Check withthe vet on that one.

Bo ate as soon as he got home. I gave him his pellets and hishay, but I also gave him some oats. He slept a lot, which wasfine cause i got to hold him the whole time. LOL!

Latest posts

Back