Tummy Trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MimzeeWhimzee

Reaction score
Late Tuesday afternoon, I bought a bunny from a local family-run pet shop. She's a 3-4 month old dwarf lionhead mix (she looks to have Hotot in her). From bringing her home through Thursday, she ate nothing that I saw and had only the smallest bowel movement. I chalked it up to stress initially and then grew very worried that she might have gastrointestinal stasis. The only local vet that has experience with "exotics" was already closed for the weekend and I worried the trip out of town would be too much stress in her condition.

She worsened Thursday night, grinding her teeth very often and huddling up on herself. On the advice of a friend, I picked her up to attempt an abdominal massage and found that just seconds before she had FINALLY had a bowel movement, passing a good bit of mucus along with the feces. Over the following several minutes, she continued to go, with the last of it starting to take on the more normal "cluster" pelets. She then behaved as though she felt a great deal better, exploring more than she had before, doing little binkies, and being much less skittish of me. When I put her back into her cage while I left to get some timothy hay for her, she went straight to her food dish and started eating. She's been nibbling her pellets and hay off and on ever since, exploring and licking everything, and no more grinding!

I think she's out of the woods, but I'd really like the opinions of other bunny parents. She was being fed guinae pig pellets at the store, which they didn't tell me until I called them Wednesday to ask why she wasn't eating. I got her some, and that's what she's been nibbling along with the timothy hay. But she also keeps trying to chew her wood pulp litter, which worries me a bit.

Welcome to RO!

Your little girl definitely had some digestive problems. Gas pains which are very painful. Stress will do that to a young bunny. Glad she is feeling better. And the eating and activity is really a good sign that she is feeling better.

I don't know about the guinea pig pellets, but I give my youngins an alfalfa based rabbit pellet. Young bunnies like yours need alfalfa until they are at least 7 months old. Bunnies grow fast during that period. Alfalfa gives them what they need to grow. Always introduce new foods very gradually. Don't want to cause gas.

Hay, lots of hay. Bunnies have to keep their digestive system constantly moving. Hay is very important. Not just for youngins but adult bunnies as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated and would love to see a pic of Angel.

K:)

Thank you!

Poor baby was in so much pain. It took me awhile to recognize, because I didn't catch the distinction between tooth purring and tooth grinding until it got really loud and constant and she was always still when it happened. She hasn't ground her teeth since last night though. She still doesn't eat very much, but she is eating and very active. She's spent the day nibbling a little food and hay then bouncing around then grooming then napping. Repeat ad nauseum. And drinking. Even when she wasn't eating, she drank plenty of water.

I'm keeping an eye on her and her poops. They're still a bit mushy, but taking on the normal shape more and more. The guinea pig food lists alfalfa meal as it's first ingredient for what it's worth. And there is timothy hay EVERYWHERE. She didn't have any hay at the pet store, so she probably was having some tummy problems before I even got her. She's been very affectionate lately. She hopped into my lap to groom my pants and shirt (and poop) and she licked my nose later. I think that long, gross night bonded her to me. I massage her belly when I can and try to help keep her bottom clean. I'm just crossing my fingers and doing what I can.

I have some pictures, but they aren't on the computer yet. Have a video instead? I think she was already grinding in the video, but I mistook it for purring. :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTcv2eGHvs[/ame]

Def. Sounds like grinding .... purring is a calmer quitter sound and probably wouldn't be heard over the Buzz in the video. Hope shes feeling better.

The way she was moving around and stretching and not attempting to hide from, it appears she was purring and not grinding. When bunnies are hurting the usually, like said, won't let you near them. And they do stay still, but in a hunched position, with their belly pressed to the floor, trying to help relieve the gas.

She a sweetie. Look like my little Luna. I love the hotot coloring around the eyes.

Glad she doing better. Believe me, when you are new to bunnies, it is tough to distinquish what is what. I been there. As you get to know your bunny, you will get to see her signs. Happy, moody, hurt. It takes a bit to really get to know your bunny. And watching bunny poo, smart move. Bunny poo is how you really tell how your bunny is feeling. Glad to hear the poo is going back to normal by starting to form.

Take it all slowly. Time and patience is a big factor in getting them acclimated to their new home. Sounds like you have it all under control.

Thanks so much for sharing the video.

K:)

I'm glad she's doing so much better than at first.

I'm not sure what you mean by wood pulp litter [pellets? shavings?], but wood is good for rabbits to eat, as long as it's not cedar or pine.

And until she's full-grown, she should have alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa hay would be nice as well, but timothy or any other grass hay will be ok as long as there are unlimited alfalfa pellets available.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Been off the radar for the weekend, but back with an update.

Angel has made a full recovery! She eats everything we have to offer now (except carrots; she didn't like the little carrot sliver we offered; our dog Tiger loved them, though), poop is all back to normal (and everywhere, oh god), and she is a little ball of energy. She wants to get into everything, especially if she's not allowed. She's a champion at squeezing into ridiculously tight places. I no longer see my room as a space where I live; instead, it is a series of spaces that need to be blocked so Angel can't get in there.

The wood pulp is bedding. It's not cedar or pine, and the packaging says it's safe if ingested but warns against too much consumption. And I didn't want her chewing on it more than the hay. But she seems to prefer the hay now. We're keeping her on the guinea feed for now, since it's primarily alfalfa pellets.

At that age she really shouldn't have any veggies at all. She should have unlimited hay & unlimited alfalfa pellets until about 6 months, then one veggie [a green such as romaine is good], just a bite one day, then 2 the next, etc. This should avoid diarrhea. Some start veggies earlier, but it always should be started very gradually.

Back