Tummy problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Rascal has not ate his pellets since 4th of july night. He has ate hay and drank water, for sure. He is peeing and pooing. he is netherland dwarf, don't know weight. Small though. Yest when I was holding him I thought I felt like a bubble pop in his belly. I didn't know if it was gas. Didn't notice it happen it again.

Could he just be stressed from fireworks and maybe gotten some gas from it? What can I do?

I'm waiting for a call from the vets office. Thanks!! :)

I wonder if he is having teeth problems. If he is eating, drinking, pooing and weeing, that's a good thing. Its strange that he is not eating pellets.

How is he acting in himself?

He is also almost 3 months old. he's acting fine. doing the same things. I haven't noticed anything different. they pretty much sleep all day though.

That really depends on the rabbits, some do some don't.

Was it a new bag of food? anything else changed in his life?

nothing has changed. just started the night of the fireworks.

I'm new to bunnies so I don't know if I should be worried about him not eating pellets. As long as he's eating hay and drinking. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing. IDK.

I personally would be concerned at the diet change. I tend to take my buns for a checkup if their eating habits change because I tend to suspect spurs, but obviously there can be many other reasons for it too.

Some buns can be a bit faddy though, or be troubled easily. It's hard when you have a new bunny to know what is best to do.

Still waiting on Doc to call. Hope he calls tonight. I will prob take him( Rascal)in just to make sure it's not teeth. I'm just worried about his tummy. Or anything at this point.

Thanks!! :biggrin2:

Doc never called. :(

I don't understand whyRascal stopped eating his pellets all the sudden. I'll just make an appt in the morning for asap. Just to be on safe side. IDK what else to do.

Thanks Flashy!! :)

I would also go out and get some simethicone (gas x liquid for children or Mylicon for infants)and give him about 0.5 cc and see if this helps in case it could be gas.....

this can be repeated x 2 within several hours
also encourage him to run about and if his ears seem cold try to warm him a little by placing rice in a sock and warming in the microwave for a minute or sountil the sock is warm and the heat is evenly distributed and not too warm. You can place this with him in his cage so he can choose to lie next to it or move away from it...

Simethicone should be only active ingredient.

If you can get some benebac (probiotic) and give a dose of that (not at the same time as the simethicone) ; this may also help his GI problem
let us know how he is doing .........

Benebac is sold at petstores in powder or gel form and the simethicone is sold at most drug stores

probably the simthicone is the most important right now

His ears feel really warm. Is that good?I'm probably only gonna be able to get the Simethicone Drops tonight cause it's 9 pm here. But I'll go get them.

yeah if his ears are warm that means that he is not going into shock

(as long as they are not hot..that is another issue)
so don't bother with the rice sock
Does his tunmmy feel hard?

It probably has a dropper with it. it is easier to give it with a 1 cc syringe but a dropper will have to do. You want to fill the dropper with the medication as I don't think it holds a full cc and then I will tell you what i do.
I get on the floor and sit on my legs with my bunny holding the bun between my knees like a vice then I slide the syringe behind his front teeth so it is pointing to the other side of his mouth instead of the back of his throat I then push the medicine in making sure that it isn't too fast and that he can swallow.
Your bun is really probably really small and fast so it might be harder; can someone help hold him for You?
here are some other epoples idea from the library.

You might want to wrap him in a bunny buritto and then put him between your knees on the floor and give it.
I personally will never turn a bunny upside to give an oral med because I am afraid of him aspirating ot choking

also read this article

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/medicating.html

I just noticed that he ate some of his vinyl flooring. That was behind his litter box. I just now seen it. Could this be upsetting his belly? Will he be ok?

Latest posts

Back