Tummy Grumbling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
Hi there, I have ANOTHER question. :) Of course, hah.

I am a very paranoid health freak. So, of course being a first time bunny mom I'm going to be the same with my bunny.
I was sitting with him today while he was in his cage, and all of a sudden I heard his stomach grumbling. It was the same as if a dog hasn't eaten for a few days (we have poodles which were picky eaters and would starve themselves until we gave them something delicious.) It was the same sort of "I'm so hungry!" noise.

I gave him swiss chard (green) for the first time this morning. He ate like 2 small pieces of it. It's been about 3 hours since then.
I just went and checked up on him again.. his poop look normal enough (at least I think... they're round and brown?) I just went to check on him and saw a really small, wet looking one. But, he ate it right in front of me and then looked very pleased. Is this what a 'cecal' is?

I read that this stomach grumbling could just be gas. Is this true, or could it be something else? He seems to be moving around enough...
I just started giving him raisins as treats, could this maybe be the problem?

Thanks so much for any input!

If he ate it in front of you, I'm sure it was a cecal.

As for the grumbly tummy, most likely gas-which would be caused by the greens. Greens can cause gas which can turn into stasis. I'd try maybe just a little less greens next time.

Sounds like your bunny ate cecal, which is good for him. The belly grumbling sounds like gas. Giving the greens and raisins for the first time could have set off a little gas. I would stop with the greens and raisins. Wait a few weeks and then try one and a time and see if the gas shows up again. Then you will know which one kind of them, either the greens or raisins, threw off your bunny's belly. Glad to hear he's up and moving around. Gas pains really hurt bunnies. Dobby got gassy over broccoli. But since he does like it so much, I waited, actually another month and tried just a little bit. His system can handle broccoli now but in just tiny portions.

K

Ellie wrote:
I read that this stomach grumbling could just be gas. Is this true, or could it be something else? He seems to be moving around enough...

Gas isn't "just gas"for rabbits the way it is for us or other animals. They can't burp. It could be just a normal rearrangement of things in the digestive system. Or it could be gas.
I'd cut out the greens & treats. And if it happens again or his belly starts feeling bloated & tight, start giving him some symethicone. What works for babies works for rabbits. A vet visit may be necessary, but let's hope you've caught the problem before it progresses.

LakeCondo wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Gas isn't "just gas"for rabbits the way it is for us or other animals.  They can't burp.  It could be just a normal rearrangement of things in the digestive system.  Or it could be gas.
I'd cut out the greens & treats.   And if it happens again or his belly starts feeling bloated & tight, start giving him some symethicone.  What works for babies works for rabbits.  A vet visit may be necessary, but let's hope you've caught the problem before it progresses.

Very good to know. All of the sources online made it seem similar to us, so thanks for the input!
Is this symethicone thing just Gas-X? Or Bean-O? I googled it, and that's what it came up with... or is there a drug with the same affect that I'd need to get from the vet?
I also heard cilantro can help reduce gas, is this true?

He was out 500-ing and binkying last night, so I'm hoping it's all cleared up :) Thanks!!

I've read people use infant drops. I don't think you need to go to your Vet, but you could give a call just to check to see if he/she recommends these drops.

I've heard cilantro does help with gas. But just make sure your bunny's belly likes it. Mine love it not for relief of gas, but because they think it's yummy. And does agree with their system.

K

I talked with our vet and got a list of veggies that were lower in calcium as well as gas producing ones as we had one that was prone to bladder stones and one that would get stasis from gas.

Just in case you ever DO need it it's meant for human babies, so you can find it in the infant meds section at a drug store, Wal-Mart etc. The brand name apparently is Infants' Mylicon Drops, as the store brand I bought [just in case I need some quickly] says "compare to ....".

Latest posts

Back