tum ta tum, tum tuuuuuums!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen a few posts that have said to use tums for a week or so before the doe gives birth i hadn't heard of this before using this forum and before i went ahead i wondered if anyone could tell me do you give them a full tablet or half of one and do you just let the bunny chew it or crumble it on their food? and do you give it every day?:dunno:

I break it in half and then just drop it in their food bowl. Sometimes I will give a doe half of one flavor and half of another flavor so she can pick what flavor she likes....but I usually have two or more does kindling at the same time.

Peg

Thanks Peg, I have 4 does due to go the same day i'm hoping we should get something, so i can split the tablets between them, can you use other tablets or do they have to be tums?

To give the does a calcium boost before they kindle otherwise they sometimes have seizures and die after giving birth it happened to me in December Molly had her kits then she was eating the afterbirth one minute then she took a major seizure and died i was there and saw everything it was so quick there was nothing i could do it was horrible. I thought she choked on the afterbirth but after reading a post i'm not so sure so i am not taking any chances this time.

I use a generic brand of tums - basically - the fruit flavored tablets that have calcium....

Most of my does really love them....

Peg

Hmmm, I don't have any of the fruit flavor ones,I wonder if they would like peppermint? That's what my Dear Hubby eats,unfortunalty like candy!

I guess you could try it - I was told to use fruit flavored to get them to eat it.

I think I paid less then $3 for generic tums at Walmart.

Yeah, even the name brand aren't too expensive,and only using half at a time, they would last a long time. I don't know, mabye I will just put the fruit ones on ym shopping list, I like the taste of them better myself-do you think the bunnies would mind sharing? :D

I use "Calcium Antacid Tablets: Extra Strength (750 mg Calcium Carbonate)". My current bottle is "Assorted Berries".

I figure I start it on day 28 and give them one per day until the day after they kindle (I figure since they have milk coming in - it won't hurt). So if you figure 5 tablets per litter - that is just under 20 litters per container (assuming they have their babies on day 31).

gentle giants wrote:
Oh! Just thought of something! Regular or maximum strengh?

Gussy wrote:
Ah..um...what does giving Tums do?

Calcium helps the uterus contract (in conjunction with the doe's other birthing hormones).Tums contain calciumcarbonate, which is less effective than calcium gluconate.Calcium gluconate injections combined with oxytocinare often used for does having difficulty giving birth. (Dextrose is sometimes also given)

Hypercalcemia caused by excess calcium can cause seizures, so high amounts of calcium for pregnant does is not recommended.Generally, a balanced diet consisting primarily of commercial rabbit pellets provides adequate calcium for does in production.

Pam

What % of calcium is needed? My feed says it is for grower and breeder rabbits, but I would like to check the label.

.75% for lactating does, .45% for gestating does, and .40% for growing rabbits. Most commercial rabbit feeds and range from about .60% - 1%

Pam

I always see tums for like different stomach problems and different pains. So, which tums do you give the doe? I have never had this happen, but i just provide my does with plenty of food, water and hay while they give birth so that there calcium level wont' drop. I actually just recently herd about this....i think on here....but then again im not sure.

Your lucky i can't get tums anywhere over here i have had to get rennies instead still the same thing though and i agve them half each yesterday and they all ate them. I got my mum to ask for tums at the chemist and they said sorry do you want rennies instead and mum was like better not they are for her rabbits the chemist jaw hit the floor!!!

ROFLOL.

I had a breeder friend have a doe go into a seizure or something over calcium deficiency but she was very quick thinking.

She had some spinach baby food on hand and she crushed up part of a calcium tablet, mixed it into the spinach and then syringed some into the doe.

It was the day before the doe was due.

The doe actually went on to have the litter and do just fine.

But to me - that was really QUICK thinking!

Now I try to keep spinach baby food on hand all the time but it is hard to find in our stores here....

Peg

polly wrote:
Your lucky i can't get tums anywhere over here i have had to get rennies instead still the samething though and i agve them half each yesterday and they all ate them.I got my mum to ask for tums at the chemist and they said sorry do you want rennies instead and mum was like better not they are for her rabbits the chemist jaw hit the floor!!!

don't think you even get spinach baby food over here not that its something i ever really look at as have no kids last time i had to feed a bunny baby food i found it hard to get a veggie only one in the first place i will start looking for some though and keep u posted if i actually find some!! She was really quick thinking though i hardly got time to turn round when molly took her seizure.

Latest posts

Back