Trying to Decide on new bunny breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBun

Reaction score
Hello Guys! This is my first post here:)

I currently have 1 rabbit (Mr BunBun, Creative right?? I thought so:)
He is a lop, 1 1/2 years old. I think he's a holland lop.

We just bought a house, and I have lots of room now, So I'm really wanting to get another Rabbit. I'm not getting another with intentions of them being friends(although that would be awesome) I understand it can be hard to bond.

I really have my heart set on a big bunny. I want a friendly bunny, similar to Bun Buns personality. I want a gentle bunny.

I've been thinking of a Flemish Giant (I've always been intrigued by this breed)
I fount a breeder that has two 7 week old baby bucks available.

I've also been thinking about a English Lop,
I fount some of these as well, They are females.

Ive mainly had male rabbits, I remember when I was a kid we had a couple females, and they always seemed more skittish and aloof then my males.
Is that generally the case?

If theres anybody here with a Flemish or a English Lop, I'd love to hear about your bunnies. or if you have other suggestions on breeds?

I have a Flemish giant buck whom I love beyond words. Two breeders I spoke with along with many others say that males are more laid back and affectionate. Because I enjoy the flemmie so much I doubt I will ever live without one in my home again. My guy is over a year old and intact. Although every bun is different litter training him only took three days. For those three days he would pee outside his litter box but never outside his cage. He would mark his new territory with poos but that went away as he got older.

The only time I ever had issues with him due to him being intact was when I first brought home the 2 females we rescued. he sprayed for a short time and tried mounting my one daughter. That only lasted a few weeks.

He has never bitten or shown any sign of aggression. he likes playing with my dog. Does not startle easy at all. In fact I can't remember the last time I heard him thump and usually if something does get him on alert he is over it in a moment .He is very laid back. He was more playful when he was younger and would play chase where I would chase him and he would chase me. Now he spends most of our time interacting demanding nose rubs in his sweet way.

I have more than enough fur family right now but an English lop is also a breed I would like to share my home with one day.

Oh, we have had myself, my three stepdaughters (9,9,11), my daughter and her fiancé along with my two young grandsons in the bunny room rolling a ball around with all of the noise and laughter that you would expect and my bun just hopped around investigating everyone and getting pets.

I vote English Lop! Though I love big breeds in general, I happen to be partial to the floppy ears.

Edgar is THE love of my life, don't tell my bf haha ;) I have had the same experiences with Females. I much prefer Male animals in general! I find them to be suckier, though I am sure it just depends on the animal. Edgar has SO much personality, is currently being clicker trained, and is such a sucky boy!

580321_10151992622454410_220535861_n.jpg

Better send Edgar here so we can keep him, er, safe, yeah safe. We have a Checkered Giant female that is close to 20 pounds and she's a very loving, nosy and busy rabbit. She's also a lap rabbit and a snuggler. However, we've been told that she is an exception as to her behavior and that most aren't as friendly. It varies from bunny to bunny and we don't feel you can just pick out one breed and make a blanket statement. We've fostered lots of different breeds over the years and some have been great while others have been little biting monsters, and both of the same breed.

Latest posts

Back