truvy only eats hay flakes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truvy

Reaction score
truvy just eats all of the flakes of alfalfa hay instead of the stalks. i try to leave the stalks in there for a day or two but im terrified she will starve! what can i do to encourage her to eat them? she doesnt eat her pellets as much either bc i switched from a junk food type to a healthy brand. she does get veggies every day though too..

How old is Truvy? If your bun is over 7 months then its time to switch from alfalfa to timothy. Alfalfa is good for growing buns but has to much calcium and to many calories for adults. I went threw the same problem with Fraggles. She only ate the leaves and left the stalks. So I switched to timothy/orchard grass mix and there is not any leaves so she eats the hay. Also I have noticed that her leaving the hay is a sign that her cage needs a good cleaning.

I looked back at some of your other posts and it looks like yours is still a baby. But I still would not worry to much. I have Fraggles since she was 5 weeks old and she did the same thing. My girl does not get pellets at all and she has grown into 2 1/2 feet and 14 pounds. Unless she is losing or is not gaining I would not be to concerned.

okay thanks. yeah she is pretty young and when i first got her she devoured everything in her cage but now shes being a bit more picky. i tried introducing some sweet grass alfalfa but she hated that too. haha. she was at the vet and they said she looked healthy and the appropriate weight so thats good. :) fraggles is SO cute by the way!

Latest posts

Back