Truely extrodinary....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrahan

Reaction score
I have not posted on this site in a long time but i read it all the time. It is my bible! But i have this story to tell about my truely extrodinary holand lop...Twix. He is almost a year old and has already been througha lot in his short life. I tell the people in my life, family and friends and coworkers about my rabbits all the time and they just laugh at me...i think they believe that owning a rabbit is just silly nobody seems to understand, thats why i am posting now. Just about one month ago i noticed a little pinkish white spot on his right eye. I took him to the vet a couple days late and he didnt know what it was. Due to the lack of equipment in his office he said we would treat it like an infection so he was given some antibotics. Well the spot kept getting bigger and so the vet recommened on of the best vet opthomolgist in ohio (besides ohio state). We went there, Twix got an ultra sound and some other tests done,and his eye was filled with some kind of bacteria, and a tumor. The infection was so spred the vet said it could become qlacomic, (i think thats how u say it) and could very well spread to his other eye or his brain. He recommended his eye be removed. SO to make a long story short and $700.00 later, his eye was removed on Tuesday. (I his mother) was a big emotional reck, due to almost losing him because of all the bleeding during the surgery. BUt he made it through and i got to bring him home that night. I was so proud of him, I cried when i saw him for the first time, I cried all the way home and I cried when i saw him munching on his celery, ANyway, I think i learned a big lesson from him. I let him out tonight for the first time since his surgery to let off some energy.ANd i almost cried again. He was the same old Twix i knew before, running around poopin on the floor and just being goofy. I knew his personality wasnt going to change after the surgery, i knew he was going to be the same. BUt if it were me, I would be depressed and not eating and laying around. HE let nothing get him down, even though hes in pain, he can still poop,eat, play and has somebody that loves him. WHy cant humans be the same way? ANyway, sorry for this being so long. BUt i needed to just say something about him. Is there anyone else that has an extrodianry story to tell!! Thank you for reading this..Darlene

Hi there!

First off, you are such a good person for everything you have done for him. He is truly lucky to have a mommy who cares for him so deeply. Your story brought tears to my eyes. He sounds like a truly remarkable little man. My rabbits continue to surprise me everyday with how wonderful, courageous, and brave they are.

Give your little Twix a kiss from me. Im glad to hear hes made it through this ordeal, and hopefully he continues to improve. You two are in my prayers.

-Haley :pray:

Great story, Darlene. Does he have any pain medication, or does the location of the surgery prevent that?

Buns are certainly quite resilient. A friend of mine had one whose hind leg had to be amputated; once he healed he got around as well & as fast on 3 legs as on 4, including leaping up on the sofa!

wow! that was soooo amazing and touching! iwas soooomovedthat Twix pulled it off, better than most of us humans! it is sooo encouraging! hope he continues to improve!

Thank you everyone for replying..Bunman...no he is not on any pain medication he was just given an antibiotic. But i do know he is in pain but he dosent show it except for his teeth grinding. It is amazing what these little guys can teach us, we just need to listen to them!! Thank you, Darlene

Bunman wrote:
Frankly i would ask the vet about pain meds - some of them just fail to give them.

Pain Control for Pet Rabbits:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

Is that the Susan Brown article? I think that's the top recommended one in the Resource Center. There's other good info there, too, it's always being updated.

Pain Management:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15014&forum_id=10

It's so encouraging to hear about brave little Twix! He really sounds special.:)
I must say that not all buns are resilient. I wish Pipp was. She gets a tiny little tooth spur and just folds. :(

(If she was a skin kid, I swear she'd break a fingernail and stay home from school). :disgust:

Anyhoo, here's hoping Twix never has to see another vet again for at least 10 years, he's had enough!

sas :), pipp :boohoo, dill :bunnyheart, sherry :brownbunny, darry and radar :bunnieskiss

Aww your story was just very touching,poor little Twix but what a brave little boy he is..

When my Daisy had an operation to have her Femoral Head Osteoectomy(hip bone removed)she did quite well through everything,she never lost her appetite and she never just sat there like she was hurting,the only time she did sit a lot was when her leg was dislocated,this was how i had found out something was wrong,but anyway it was me who felt very sorry and awful for her,even after the operation and when she was starting to use her leg again,she tried so hard but her leg kept on sliding out to the side,there was no bone,just muscle that was holding her leg,when i would see her leg sprawled out to the side i would cry and feel very bad for her,but she would just correct herself and pull her leg back in and hop away.Daisy was such a brave little girl for all she went through,she was braver than i was,i had felt all her pain,i look back now and think whoa! that was the longest 6 weeks of worrying.

Now if i had to go through something like your Twix went through and what my Daisy went through,i would just absolutely cry like there was no tomorrow and here are animals that just get on with their life:)

animals are really truly amazing creatures:)

cheryl

What an inspiring story :). Certainly sounds as if Twix is one special little bun. And well done to you and the vets involved for helping him out. May he give his Mom many happy, stress free years to come :D

Jan

What an amazing bunny Twix is turning out to be.
A Real Trooper. :blueribbon:

To the rest of the people with no bunnies.....
We can laugh at them! :roflmao:

Rainbows! :sunshine:

We all know how it is for people to look at us strangely and laugh when we talk about our buns, they just don't understand and the are missing out:brat:

You can always come and post here, everyone is just so great on this forum!:kiss:

I hope twix keeps on improving and getting more and more back to himself:bouquet::clover:

Thanks everyone for repyling he truely is wonderful, I wish i could be like him in so many ways. My vet did call me today to let me know the results of the culture they did on Twixes eye.. the fluid in his eye was sterile,,there was no tumor or cancer...but they did find that his lense was ruptured and his eye was not functional at all. I was happy to know that it cannot spread anywhere else!

Cheryl13..how is Daisy doing now? Isnt it amazing how they can truely not let anything get them down, no matter what happens they just always seem to be happy to be here!

bbgrl20...my little Twix looks just like the holland lop in your avitar!! THey sure are beautiful arent they!!

Congratulations on twix diagnoses!!! That is so great that is was not cancerous, give that brave little guy a hug for me!!:hug:

And yes they are sooooo adorable! ;)

Latest posts

Back