Trouble With Litter Training.. Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I have 3 bunnies, their ages are not exact as I did not he them from a breeder, two of them are about 7-8 months and my third is about 6-7 months. I've been trying to litter train them for awhile so that I would be able to house them inside, what I do is bring them inside to uo small bathroom, therefore, there space is limited, I put a litter box in the corner and put a few of their droppings in as we as some hay to eat. One of my boys, Jamie, will run to the box and pee and poop there, however I left him in the bathroom once, confident he would do well, and came back to a bathroom floor covered in droppings and a bit of pee. My boy theo, however, never poops in the litter box and occasionally pees in it. Gracie does not poop in it, but usually pees in there. How can I train them better? It's seems so impossible.

Try to see if they are pooping/peeing in a specific place and put the litter box there. I noticed mine were going in a specific corner most of the time so I put their box in that area and whenever they went outside of it, I would put their poops into the box and eventually they started to catch on.

Also, try putting their food dish in or next to the box (depending on how big the lip on it is). A lot of times they will go to the bathroom near where they are eating/while they are eating.

Good luck!

First of all I hope all of your buns are spayed/neutered so you do not have a bunch of little ones. If so this may also be helpful in litter training as they will not be hormonal.

Typically you want to start in a small area when litter training. If your buns seem to prefer a spot to potty in then place the litter box there. Make sure you have a litter box plenty big enough for your bun(s) to fit completely in. With more than one bun you may want to look into something larger than your average litter box such as a plastic storage container. I prefer the taller ones and then cut part of one side lower as this helps prevent spraying outside of the litter box. Ones made for under beds are shorter if you have small buns or no way to cut a larger one.

Either hang a hay rack or place plenty of hay in a corner of the litter box so that the buns must be completely inside the litter box to munch. Buns tend to potty while eating.

Pick up any stray poops and put them in the litter box. Soak up any urine with a small piece of paper towel and place this in the litter box. Clean all surfaces that have been pooped/peed on with a mix of vinegar/water which removes all smell. Keep in mind that buns do tend to mark new territory and will do so with poo as well as pee. Over time as they feel at home this should stop. A bun is considered litter trained when it pees only in the litter box as it is rare to find a bun that won't drop at least a few poos outside of the litter box.

Once the buns are litter trained you then can slowly allow them a little more free space adding more over time. For a larger space you may need to have more than one litter box. God Luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! Such a coincidence.. After posting this, I brought Jamie and Gracie in for the day and put the litter box in as usual, and today they decided to make it work! Not a single accident outside of the box. Hopefully they keep this up..

Latest posts

Back