Trip to the vet's!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katnanw

Reaction score
So I scheduled an appointment with a local animal hospital and they have diffferent doctors in different sectors. The lady working in the so called "Rabbit Care" sector told me to fast my rabbits the night before. Okay no fast but these were - and I quote - her exact words :

"No food for your rabbits after 10pm the night before (24th Feb). The day of the operation (25th Feb, I'm gonna sterilize them btw), remove water after 7am. The operation begins at 10am, but you may check them in at 9.30."

Okay so I've been reading that rabbits SHOULDN'T fast before an operation. But she's a really good doctor (according to my cousin , who has sterilized 6 rabbits under her care and all are doing well, if not better) . Help please? :?

All Vets are different I guess.

Dr. Joe didn't have Dobby and Kreacher fast before their neutering. I did bring them their food and water for afterwards, so that Dr. Joe could see if they were eating and drinking before they left.

Sorry, there was no fasting here. But then again, all Vets are different.

Also, if you don't feel right about it, I would suggest looking for a Rabbit Vet that you feel will be best for your bunnies. It's nice to get referrals, but IMHO, you need to feel comfortable with them because it is your bunny.

K :)

A rabbit savvy vet would never recommend rabbits to fast before surgery. It's physiologically nearly impossible for a rabbit to throw up (the reason other pets are fasted), so there's no reason to fast a rabbit before surgery. I'd find another vet. She's clearly not up to speed on rabbit care.

JMVHO

RUe

Did you talk to the vet or a receptionist? The vet should know better than to fast a rabbit. A receptionist might not know a ton about rabbits and could just be going by what is done for other animals. She could be new to that area as well.
Try calling back and ask to speak to the vet or get the vet to call you when they can. If the vet says to fast, then you may not want to use them. If there are no other rabbit vets, you can try to educated them about it. Even ask if you an bring food (pellets, hay, veggies) for your rabbits to give to them after the surgery.
Do not fast them the night before or the morning of surgery. Offer food right up until you get to the vet. If you drop them off as late as you can (9:30) and they actually go in for surgery at 10, then that would not be too long to be without food.

Yeah rabbits should not be fasted. They, like horses, cannot throw up. That's why dogs and cats are fasted. It's really not good for a rabbit to go without food for very long either.

As everyone has mentioned already, rabbits should not be fasted before surgery.

I'm not sure if you have already know about this, but you can try the Singapore HRS website for some recommendations: http://www.hrss.net/aar/health/health_vets.html

You can also watch the Singapore HRS videos from Teeny, which I love!!! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTU3U0HIbTw[/ame]

mrbunny wrote:
As everyone has mentioned already, rabbits should not be fasted before surgery.

I'm not sure if you have already know about this, but you can try the Singapore HRS website for some recommendations: http://www.hrss.net/aar/health/health_vets.html

You can also watch the Singapore HRS videos from Teeny, which I love!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTU3U0HIbTw

The vets arent recommended by the HRS themselves, but by people . I went there last weekend to two branches and the vets AND receptionists told me the same thing : to fast the rabbits, which is why I decided to go to the animal hospital D: ps, the receptionists at the two clinics I went to were really rude and grabbed my rabbits by the ear. No way am I going back there, god knows who recommended them =.=

Holy crap! By their ears!!! Common sense alone should have told them a rabbits ears can't support the weight of their body.....poor bunnies. I don't think I could have kept my head in that situation:grumpy:

Nope I wasn't kidding D: I got so mad I wanted to yell at her but I didn't cuz there were so many other pets around. I'm waiting for another half an hour for the vet to call me back and we'll see how it goes. *crosses fingers* :/

Completely agree with all the other posts about not fasting your rabbit.

Grabbing your bunnies by the ears - makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Good luck with finding a vet you're happy with. It can be a long & arduous journey....

Jacki - Small Pet Select

She called! Like finally ~.~ she had two operations hence the long wait. Turns out I didn't speak to the vet on the phone after all, but the receptionist. She says the receptionist is new and she apologized for the mistake. Apparently there's no need to fast my rabbits (yay!) and she said she'll see me next weekend :biggrin: thanks guys! :D

Latest posts

Back