Trip to the vets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

Reaction score
Ok so we brought Murphy and Ella to the vets office to get there nails trimmed....They were behaving a little more jumpy than usual(mind u neither one of them likes to be picked up or is fond of the car ride) anyhow so the vet tech who was trimming their nails asked usalmost rudely ifthey're handled alot. I totally felt like she thought we didn't pay attention to them....We haven't has them since they were babies so no they don't love to be picked up especially in an office that reaks of dogs! I wish vet's offices had a designated area for bunnies:( They always have to sit in there carrier waiting while all the dogs walk by:( I try to cover them so they don't have to see.

She also said they were panting alot at that you have to be careful with buns so they don't overheat. Obviously I know this and go the extra mile all summer to make sure they are cool and comfortable.Sorry for the rant but she totally made me feel like a bad bunny mom:(!I am not a bad bunny mom they each getAt LEAST 4 hours run time everyday are on a good diet and love me except when I take them to get there nails trimmed:(

Today was a totally bad experience more so than usual, we've decided we will have my sister come over and help us trim there nails instead of going to the vets from now on. Both the buns are doing fine now:)Murphy is in the bedroom eating the hay we have unfer the bed for them and he was happy to get a pieace of banana:DElla is on the top level of her cage being mad at me....I offered her a piece of banana but she turned her but to me and shook her head...LOL...I put it in her food dish and I have npo doubt she'll eat it in the next few minutes she just hates me right now! silly girl!

On a funnier note Ella the one who is the most terrifiedmounted Murphy right after she got her nails trimmed....lol As if she has to tell him she's in charge of him even at the vets office! She is ridiculous!

nightmare its kinda irritataing when they treat u like you know nothing! You should have turned round and said about the stress and stuff lether know you know!! i usually do when one of the newbie vets does that to me :p

I know what you mean about the dogs at the vet's office. My Muffin is a timid one, and when we went to the vet I had to hold on to her neck (gentle hand on top of head/ears-type hold) to keep her calm or she'd try to dig her way out of the carrier!

There are some tricks to nail trimming that can help you out. Having someone help you is best, but you can also "trance" the bunny (if you put them on their back they kind of get paralyzed and fall asleep, doesn't work for all bunnies) or wrap them up in a towel to immobilze them. Sorry if you already knew that, but it might help.;)

Yeah your right Polly I should've let her know:)I usually do I don't know why I didn't today.

Thanks for the tips Tonyshuman:)I have never tried to trance them....I guess I will have to:)

I'm sorry about your bad experience with the vet.As long as you know you are a good bunnyslave, that's all that matters.

Goodluck with your sister doing it. Keiran doesn't like to be held at all, but he does fine on my lap when I cut his nails. Does yours mind being on your lap? Or I put him on a chair and do it...which is difficult because he keeps moving but when I stroke him then do a paw, then pet him so more, and so on, it usually helps.

Hehe, silly Ella. She sounds adorable.

I just took my bun Baxter! in for his nails (and generally to see if I'm being a good bun Mom as I've had him just a little over a month and knew absolutely nothing about buns) - funny thing is the Vet that I saw, told me I should definetly bring him in as he "is" so nervous and jumpy?

Baxter! i have found is nothing but friendly and crawls all over me - would prefer traveling strictly on the ground, but doesn't complain too much about being picked up when I must. He just doesn't like being at the Vets (what animal does?)..

I thought they were either preying on my ignorance of bunnies (as I asked them to show me how to do it - i can do my cats, not sure bun's are all that different - but certainly do not want to "nip" him) but I think they just want the $$..

You sound like a wonderful "Mom"..

Latest posts

Back