Trip to the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we3pnuts

Reaction score
So on Sunday afternoon I noticed Diamond wouldn't come out of her cage at all. We keep the door open so she can come and go as she pleases. She spends most of her time out so I thought it was a little strange that she wouldn't come out.She was still eating and drinking, peeing and pooing so I thought maybe she was just being lazy. By evening time though I became a lot more concerned. I brought her out to see how she would act outside of her cage. OH MY, she would not use her back leg at all! I felt soooo bad for her. I instantly got on here searching the infirmary for info. But of course I knew I just needed to get her to the vet. It was Sunday evening and there were no vets open. I did get a hold an emergency vet (located two hours away). She said as long as she was still eating, drinking and using the bathroom she would be fine until Monday. First thing Monday I bring her in to the vet closest to me. The vet tried to pin point the location of the pain but Diamond was too tense to isolate it. She decided to do an xray. Thank goodness the xray came back normal. We didn't see any breaks, fractures and the hip socket was in place. I'm stumped how it got hurt and what exactly is hurting her. So the vet gave her Metacam and said to confine her for 2 weeks. I know she needed to see a vet and have xrays but now I'm just pissy that I had to pay $200.00! $200 I don't have!! My husband is not a happy camper either. Like I said, I know she needed to go but errrrr! Her leg is still hurting her. Were going to do the Metacam for 5 days and if she doesn't feel better by then I'm going to bring her back in.

Diamond did excellent at the vet. Though she was nervous at first she got relaxed real quick. The vet even made a comment that for a bunny she is so mellow and has a great temperament. ohhhh, I love my bunny, she's such a good girl. Here is a picture of her chilling at the vet. I carry my camera everywhere. Her ears were always on full alert.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

So no diagnosis? Since the xrays were fine the vet isn't investigating more? Did he/she give you any idea what MIGHT be causing it? (I'm getting pissy along with you here.:X)

Okay, so in your opinion does there seem to be a painful, sore area or does it seem more like limpness? Does she even try to get up and move?

Have you seen any improvement with the Metacam?

Not that I have any answers, but I am just wondering if it's possibly something neurological.

-Mary Ellen

Aw, I bet that was really scary for you both.

If there are no signs of breaks or trauma, has the vet considered E. Cuniculi? Back leg paralysis can be one of the early symptoms that ECis active.

I don't know much about it, but when my Sunshine lost temporary use of her back legs it was suggested on here that it might be EC.

I hoping someone that knows more about it, like maybe Randy or someone might be able to help you more.

Bunnicula, The vet told me if she's not better with in the five days to bring her back in and they will to further investigating. She did say it could be a soft tissue sprain (I think that's what she said???)

She does get up to eat and use the litter box. I've seen her put some weight on it but when I had her out she hops 3 legged. She won't even use it. She lifts it completely off the ground. I see her licking it so it seems to be a sore spot.

I haven't noticed if the metacam is working.After she had it I just left her alone and she just laid in her cage.

She does still seem herself otherwise.She was just up eating and sitting by the door of her cage. She looked like she was begging to come out. I've been giving her lots of attention. I can tell she's loving it. I put hayby her head so she can munch whenever she wants and doesn't have to get up as much.

Moominmoo, I will for sure ask the vet about EC if she isn't better soon. It seems more sore then loss of usage.

we3pnuts wrote:
Moominmoo, I will for sure ask the vet about EC if she isn't better soon. It seems more sore then loss of usage.

I had been thinking along the same lines as moominmoo was...so glad to hear that it doesn't seem like a lameness...

I hope things get better without another trip to the vet. Still...isn't it frustrating when you can't get to the source of what happened? Pipkin had a recent bout with full-blown diarrhea. We never did identify the cause. So after a week of medicine, forced feedings/fluids, and TLC he recovered. I was glad...but I am still perplexed by the mystery. :?

Awww Diamond is such a beautiful girl. I love her colors! I'm sorry to hear that she isn't well. It sucks when you pay that much for a vet but don't come out with an exact explanation. It always seems that things happen at the worse financial times. I know you love her and take her in when she needs it and I am sure no one blames you for being angry with the bill. I hope the metacam works and that it gets better.

Hugs to you and your bun!

Diamond is such a beautiful girl. Her colors are just stunning.

I wish I could offer some sort of help or advice. As others have mentioned, my first thought was EC, but thats more of a lameness. Its also pretty much impossible to test for so theres not much your vet could do to diagnose it.

Im surprised the xray didnt show anything. Maybe she could have pulled a muscle or something? You guys checked her nails and paws to be sure she didnt rip out a nail? Ive seen bunnies limp from that.

For now, its good shes eating/pooping and being herself. Whats the bottom of her cage like? If its wire bottom you should definitely put something soft down for her.

I'll be keeping your little one in my thoughts and prayers. I know its frustrating when you spend the money for diagnostic tests and you still dont know whats wrong.

*hugs*

Haley

Thanks everyone!

The vet looked over her whole body including her little paws. The bottom of her cage is flat. Hmmmm.....the door that opens like a ramp is wire though. Maybe she caught her leg on it? She usually hops completely over it but maybe.

I let her out after I gave her the metacam to see if it helped at all. She still wouldn't use her leg. I'll give her a few more days of complete rest then check again.

I wish I could crawl in the cage with her to cuddle :(

Hi,

Just wanted to add a couple of thoughts here. Wondering is it both back legs or one in particular?I see you mentionedshe is three hopping...but any signs of any distress in the other leg? I think at this point I would tend to agree with your thought of possibly getting a leg stuck in the wiring of the cage. We have had that happen before and had a limpy bunny for a few days. I am not really thrilled with metacam but it does seem to be appropriate based on the info available. I would go no more than 5 days and make sure your bun is fully hydrated. Despite the opinion that metacam is totally safe, that would be an inaccurate assumption.....it can be damaging to the liver if not used properly.

I am always concerned about E Cuniculi when I hear of any issues regarding motor skills in the hind quarter. Usually the first sign of an EC infection is in the back legs....usually one leg. It will appear to drag or be lazy....like the rabbit forgot it was there. For some reason, each of the active EC buns we have had first presented motor issues with the left rear leg. Don't quite have a handle on if that really means anything or is just coincidence but it is something I am exploring. Nearly every rabbit in the US (domestics) have been exposed to EC. It shows itself usually during a stressful event in which the immune system is compromised. There is a test..called a titer....that will check forantibodies in the blood but the test is questionable and open to lots of interpretation. In an active EC infection, there is a battle line set up. The bun will lose some motor functions and then seem to improve to normal. That is a sign that the immune system is mounting a response. Then the paresis will return, worse than beforeand will then tend to improve. It is a "see-saw" battle with a general deterioration over time resulting in the bun on it's side all the time.

My suggestion is to monitor the motor functions of the hind quarter very closely. Since the rads showed no damage, it is very likely asoft tissue injury....such as a pull or a tear. Time will heal that and you should notice some improvement over the next couple of days. If the rabbit's condition regresses, it might would be time to explore a little more into the root cause of the problem. But based on your post, I would lean toward some discomfort from a soft tissue injury...but monitor the situation closely. The fact that she is licking is telling me something is torn or spained.

I am assuming by your post that you are in the first stages of the metacam. You should notice some improvement in her discomfort within 24-36 hours. Metacam is not a very strong analgesic but works quite well for inflammation. If she is still showing obvious discomfort after about 36 hours, I might would ask for a few rounds of more aggressive pain meds.

And Diamond is one beautiful rabbit. Her markings are awesome. Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed info or have any questions I can help you with.

Randy

Latest posts

Back