Trimming Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtothis

Reaction score
Peanut ' s nails are very long and they really need to be trimmed. I've never done this before so I'm a little scared. I've noticed that he doesn't mind being picked up so that won't be a problem. However, I've read that many people use human Nail clippers, it gets the job done and apparently works better. Does anyone here do this? Should I? Any other tips for trimming nails? Thank you !

You're very lucky that you get to pick up your bun without a problem. Buns should have their nails clipped at least every month so I don't know how long you it has been but since you said it's long then it must have been a long time. Anyways, I wouldn't use human nail clippers because their designed for humans and not pets. I would go for cat clippers or search rabbit clippers on amazon because those work the best.

It sounds like this is the first time you're nail clipping so I will guide you through it. There are two main types of nails, clear and dark nails. Clear nails are the easiest because you can see the quick the easiest. The quick is a vein which should NOT be cut at all, if cute the rabbit can bleed and it will be painful. If it does start to bleed you can use household products such as flour to stop the bleeding and if it continues to bleed go straight to the vets. When you're cutting cut at least 1cm away from the quick and if you're still unsure only cut the part of the nail that looks like a hook and is far away from the quick to be safe.
If the nails happen to be dark, then you will need to do the pressure technique. When cutting the nail make sure not to go to far up only cut of bit by bit, put light pressure with the clipper on the nail, if they move then you need to move down a bit, do this again and if they don't move put a bit more pressure on it (if they move repeat above), then you finally clip. Dark nails are the hardest because you have to guess where to cut really, so if you're unsure about it go to the vets to let them do it instead.
My bun gets really annoyed when I clip his nails so try to calm them before doing it (since it's his first time) and for every nail cut give them a treat (I give mine dried papaya every time I cut a nail) so it teaches them that if they co-operate with you they can get more treats.

Hope this helps :goodluck

This was very helpful. Thankfully my rabbit has Clear nails. I've only had him for a month or two, and before that I'm not sure how long it had been since his nails were trimmed. I've read about the quick before so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I don't have the correct clippers yet but when I buy them I'll see how it goes.

I have read also if your bun has dark nail(s), you can put a bright light by it in seeing at where to cut.

the vein will show itself as a shadow and just cut above that and your good to go

there is a great idea lokinforareason i am also struggling with a couple buns who have black nails thanks :)

I just clipped my buns nails. I could only do 2 front paws and one back paw as he wouldn't let me do them all in one go. Thats another tip, if your bunny really hates it do one paw everyday so its less stressful for you and bun. I avoided quite a few disasters by using the pressure technique with the darker nails at the back, you can use the light as well but your hands are going to be quite full and the bun might be a bit suprised of the sudden light so I use the pressure method and bit by bit so I can avoid disasters ☺. Glad I could help you guys!

I clip my Biggie's nails every few weeks as she's so docile and lovely. But Banzaii is cantankerous at the best of times and his nails are dark so it can be very difficult to get him to hold steady. Last week, he bucked as I cut his nail and I nicked the vein. Jesus Christ, I dunno who was more traumatised by the whole affair, him hopping around leaving little specks of blood or me trying to get him to accept a treat and constantly reiterating that I was sorry and I loved him!

It takes two of us and it's exhausting. I used to wrap him in a towel in a bunny burrito but that really didn't seem to help. I put Jez on a towel on the dining room table. I know he is not comfortable up there but if I keep him on the floor he will run.
I've heard that the more you cut them, the smaller the vein/quick is, but I can't confirm. Maybe someone else can comment.
Also have some styptic powder and a paper towel ready in case of a bleed.

Latest posts

Back