Trimming nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la vie est belle

Reaction score
So my bunny's nails are getting pretty long.

He hates being held, I can't even get him to sit calmly in my lap. Every time I pick him up he spazzes until he's free. Every time I put him on my lap he doesn't stay for more than 4 seconds before spazzing off. I've tried trimming his nails while he's on the floor but he just runs away.

Can't hypnotize him because well, he hates being held lol, and I'm scared I'll hurt him if I try.

Don't want to take him to the vet, he'll get so stressed out. Any advice?

Do you know anyone in your area who has rabbits and knows how to do nails? Some rabbits are calmer and easier to handle when they are a bit stressed (new area plus the car ride there). I have done rabbits that the owner can't handle and I have little trouble with them.
Some pet store do nail trims, but I would be cautious as not all people have rabbit knowledge and could hurt your rabbit by holding it wrong.

If taking him somewhere is not a good option, try warping him in a towel and doing it in an area of the house that he does not know. You may need someone to either hold him or cut the nails while you hold him.

It is important to start working with him on getting him used to being held. While many rabbits don't like it, they do tolerate it so you can clip the nails and check them over. Make sure you hold him securely so that he feels safe and can't really fight too much. Start with short sessions but always end it where he is calm and you can letting him down. If he fights when you start to put him down, pick him up again. He does need to learn that fighting you will not get him what he wants. You wearing gloves and long sleeves does help so he doesn't scratch you.

Thanks for the advice. I never tried to train him to be held because he just hates it so much and I didn't want him to be scared of me/hate me. :(

He's almost a year old. Is it too late to train him to tolerate being held? I feel like even when I really try to not let him go he's just so good at squirming away lol.

What happens if his nails get too long?

It's never too late to start training. Rabbits can live to be 10 or older, so it would be beneficial to get him used to it now rather than have him be afraid of it his whole life.

If the nails get too long, they can break off as well as making walking/hopping uncomfortable. While rabbit nails don't curl into the foot like a dog or cats could, they can twist which may cause issues with the toes.

If his nails are long now, then just take him to the vet to get them cut. This can give you some time to work with him before he will need the done again.
You might also try contacting the House Rabbit Society or another rescue near you. They tend to deal with some harder to handle rabbits on a regular basis, so should be able to give you a hand as well.

My bunnies don't like being held either so nail trimming can be a bit of a trick. Look up "Bunny Burrito", it really helps with nail trimming and vent cleaning. After a few months my guys no longer need the towel, just a careful holding and plenty of treats.

It's definitely not too late to train him. Otto was well over a year when he got better about it and now we can easily trim his nails.

Still, I would advocate taking him to the vet if you can't do it. It needs to be done and they'll be quick and efficient and done before he notices. I took mine to the vet for two years and have only recently started doing it myself - it takes two of us and different techniques for each bunny (one can be held, the other is better with all four feet on a counter and a towel wrapped around her)

Trying popping him on something like a chair seat or table. Make sure you have a confident helper is you go for a normal height table so they can't bunk off. It's feels like your feet are on firm ground so they don't go crazy if they don't like being picked up. You're not trying to balance them on your lap and as it's not the ground so they are less tempted to make a get away.

Two people is easiest, one to hold them securely in place and the other to do the trimming. I usually do one or two feet per day as they get grumpy after a bit.

So I took him to the vet today and she was super good with bunnies. I was so impressed. I've never been able to hold my bunny but she held him with no problem. She also showed me how to hold him and trim his nails.

So I'm going to slowly try to start getting him used to it... guess I'm just not confident enough with how to handle bunnies yet!

Now his nails are all nice and trimmed. He was a little traumatized in the car though, it was his first time leaving the house. Poor thing!

Thanks for all your advice! :)

I trimmed Humperdink's back nails a few days ago. He was a little freaked out, but I got it done. Then, I went for the front paws. He was not having any bit of that. So, I've been playing with his front paws and touching his nails before he has his evening romp, and I'm going to try again next week.

Back